What is Your Strangest Catch ?

• Dakotah

What was the strangest catch you all have ever had?
    This could make some interesting stories from others.

Mine was several years ago sometime in the 1980’s when I was fishing in Walker Bay near Walker,MN on Leach lake. As we were out trolling I had a good bite. I pulled it in and it was an open billfold with old expired credit cards still inside hanging on the end of my line. LMAO! No Money .
    What are the odds of the hook even passing over the billfold no less hooking onto it? I turned it in to the bait store near Walker so they could possibly find the owner. Never heard back from them if they ever found the owner.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was in Two Harbors fishing the breakwater and had a loon swin by under the water and it got snarled up in my line. This was not a fun time.

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

I was 10, fishing for channel cats with my cousin on a small river. He caught the intact skeleton of a piglet, hooked through the nose cartilage. After the initial freak-out, we laughed our butts off.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

caught a horse shoe once, thought that was a good sign, but that was all I caught that day

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

since ’62 have caught two loons casting/trolling raps in BWCA. Also, not a fun time.

The trolling one was ‘fun’ for a bit. The loon didn’t realize it wasn’t a real smelt and i didn’t realize it wasn’t a real fish. A disappointment for both of us…

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Party boat fishing out of San Diego, caught pelicans diving on our anchovies, also hooked a cormorant, even caught a snapping turtle fishing for walleye, but best of all brought up a snoopy rod and reel combo while jigging eyes.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

About 4 years ago I bought a new St. Croix rod, put a nice reel on it. Much more $$ than I’d ever spent on a rod/reel.

Was fishing two lines on the Croix in the Hudson channel. Put my rods down to net my partners fish and from the front of the boat I hear splash, oooooh, not good. New rod/reel combo overboard.

Tried to snag it for about an hour, no luck. We were joking around about a sheepshead swimming 50 ft circles around my rod like a dog staked in the backyard.

Several hours later, we were trolling through the same area and I caught a sheepshead. In its mouth was a hook……and line……and I ended up pulling my rod/reel combo back into the boat hand over fist.

I have a witness on this one!!!

ET

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

While fishing from shore on the Chippewa river, my buddy hooked in to a pair of “whitey tightees” . We released them…

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

My wife……..to late to throw her back now too

Man….I wish I would have practiced catch and release in the early 80’s

Just kidding honey, I love ya

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Crabs, at Lake Nokomis no less…..

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

My wife……..to late to throw her back now too

Man….I wish I would have practiced catch and release in the early 80’s

Just kidding honey, I love ya

holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Snagging a water moccasin! Casting from shore on a small lake in Kentucky. Thought I had a nice fish on. Snakes creep me out anyway. Once I saw what was hooked, about 20 feet from shore……couldn’t cut the line fast enough.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

A condom on pool 2. Sadly that happens more than you would think. Doggone nature freaks practising safe sex…

dd

Tucker02
    Mn

I was on mille lacs using a drift sock when I noticed I was moving a little fast. To my dismay, I saw my drift sock came untied and was gone. As I was reeling in, I felt a weight and thought what could be the chances? Yep hooked and retrieved my own drift sock. Put up a pretty good fight by the way.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

A lawn chair.
    An old leather boot.
    A muskrat.
    A dogfish.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Caught a muskrat with my flyrod two years ago. Strangest had to be catching a car radio on Sprirt Lake while trolling a crankbait.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Full bottle of wine on Mille lacs. Deer carcus on the Mississippi river north of Aitkin.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

A Seagull……In mid air…

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

caught a mink on a creeper at lake of the woods not a fun time boy do thet stink

big_g
    Isle, MN

A Blue Heron… not fun… he was MAD

xxrodbenderxx
    menomonie wi

i hooked a capt.wheel ….i thought it was the biggest cat know to man….oh and my moms glasses when i was 11

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Caught a rock once and a piece of plastic. My best catch was a cold water mermaid named Loretta, I had to put in something beings everybody elses catch is better then mine…

DrewH
    s/w WI.

It was the late 40 s or early 50s I was fishing below the dam at Winona. At that time there were no homes or taverns. Anyways I was using Aa steel casting rod and a cheap reel with some heavy black braid. I snagged a bed spring that refused to come in. I waded out and found it anchored with large rocks I cut it loose and brought it to shore. It was loaded with hooks and sinkers and lures. I plucked my hooks and sinkers. Just about that time two teenagers walked up and claimed the bed spring. My cousin shagged them out and they never came back.

blufloyd

I was running the boat. Buddy hangs a hard fighting bottom digger that refuses to come to boat. I hear all kinds of possibilities coming out of his mouth. I see red orange out back so I tell him he has a good one and not to lose it. Pro guy he is he loosens drag a bit. The orange sinks from view.
    Minutes later… I dig the net out and land ‘ye old ice ladle’..

glb
    Twin Cities

Snagged the handle end of an open umbrella. That one took a while.

palolo

I was about 8yrs old my cousin shows me how to cast..no reel don’t know how I did it but I hooked his ear.(still feel bad for messing up first time fishing..and cousins ear) .

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Didn’t catch it but had it hooked for too long. Hooked into a beaver. Thought I was going to be posing for a HOF picture until it surfaced and slapped its tail. I didn’t have much interest in trying to land it in the canoe I was in.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I caught a bat fly fishing at dusk once. Caught a seagull in Florida while snook fishing. My first catch on leadcore was a shoe.

My favorite was when I was in high school, fishing the spring walleye run by the Eureka dam on the fox river. Was up by the dam anchored among the pile of boats, and five minutes after putting the first rod in, had a “good” fish on. Turned out I had 4 fish on. Hooked somebody’s stringer with four fish. Held them up and asked if anyone lost a stringer but nobody wanted to claim it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.