Scissors for braid

• stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

if you are like me, you’ve got a tuff time cutting braid, especially close cuts.

so, none of my scissors work well and i buy 7 varieties. NONE work well. people show me theirs. i’m not impressed.

so the best is a $10 Fiskar from FleetFarm household. Works OK.

So, i’m at the grocery store last nite and see a pair of kids scissors with blunt tips for real cheap, $1. What can i lose…

PHENOMENAL, the things cut loose standing 50# braid without a pause!!! I tested it all day on every tie up i did. PowerPro, Ripcord, Sufix832, ALL of em.

8#, 10#, 15# 20#, 50# all clean sharp cuts first time.

For those who want to shop they are Westcott #13131.

Compare:
    https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=westcott+13131&btnK=Google+Search

after trying one, i bought 10 more…
    I bought them on line here, $0.92@:

http://www.discountofficeitems.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=westcott+13131&search+btn.x=30&search+btn.y=16

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Having tried 3 or 4 different ones over the past years I found they all dull after awhile….
    I now just use my Buck knife…I KNOW that it is always razor sharp……

Never fails to cut with very little effort………

big_g
    Isle, MN

Finger or toe nail clipper

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I also carry a razor sharp folding buck knife.

In 3′ waves, I’m using these blunt tips…

And, at $.92, when they dull, i can recycle them…

I’ve not had good luck with the finger/toenail clippers i’ve tried, at least on braid. OK on mono…

blufloyd

Fiskar kid scissors off the clearance rack at Wally. Cigarette lighter.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

X2

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Cig lighter for me also.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3 Just squeeze them moderatedly tight on the line and give them a wiggle to complete the cut and they work fine.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Rapala makes a great little clipper tool. Clippers, knife, line pick and crank bait tuning notches.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Rapala makes a great little clipper tool. Clippers, knife, line pick and crank bait tuning notches.

x2 on this little tool. The clipper is sharper than heck and mine is on its 4th year now.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Which scissors are those??

I also use a heat scoring tool, but those are expensive ($15) so putting one in each tackle box is somewhat prohibitive…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Communication cabling scissors are great. Greenlee has a knock-off version out now, but any of them will do great. They are designed for both 24awg copper and kevlar for fiber optics

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

Has any one tried one of theses before? have always wondered about them and for 8 bucks not a bad price.

Berkley Bthlc Hot Line Cutter w/replacement Tip & 2-AAA Batt Inclu
    $8 online

Instantly cut and cauterize fishing line with a 1,200F retractable tungsten tip. Eliminates fraying lines and improves knot strength, making it perfect for use with braided line. Includes an extra tip, a lanyard and two AAA batteries.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i have. worked well. $8 is a great price.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

I was given a pair of Baker siccors a while ago and I think they are the best. No matter what size braid they cut clean. Just my 2 cents.

Baker Scissors

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Interesting…

On a note of full discolosure, I used the westcotts in the field on some 10# ripcord and was not impressed. It cut the 50# free standing, but i had to tension the 10#…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

X2

X3 Just squeeze them moderatedly tight on the line and give them a wiggle to complete the cut and they work fine.

X4 on the toenail clipper.

-J.

crappykilla86
    Prior Lake, MN

Quote:

Think this is what you’ve got, I use the same-never had a problem cutting through anything, and they’re always around the neck!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.