walleye fishing in Jersey

• jacktr1
    Lake Hopatcong, Delaware River and the Jersey Shore

You fellas seem to be experts on walleyes. We don’t get that many here in Jersey. However, they are very active in the Delaware River right now, ever since the water temp hit about 43. What is the best lures you use (I’ll be in a boat) and what techniques do you use. I saw one guy yesterday getting a fish almost every cast using live bait. (minnows) but I want to use lures. Thanks a lot guys. Jack T.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve more or less used big plastics religously in the spring for a few years now. I wouldn’t even consider anything under 3″ most of the time. The old standby is a 4″ grub in either silver (clear water days) or chartreuse (muddy water days).

I think this year I may do some more experimenting with big swim baits also, just a matter of finding the time and the fish to experiment with.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Jack, great to see you back on the board. Drifting jigs with ringworms or superdoos will catch fish as well as casting ringworms if the current isn’t too fast yet. Even slow trolling upriver with a trolling motor dragging ringworms will also put some fish in the boat for you.

Thanks, Bill

ps. Sonors will work too. Jig them-jerk upwards about a foot and then lower it down. Or you can jig hair jigs. Try without a minnow first.

Don Hanson

Hair jigs can be the ticket for big fish this time of year also. Using plastic and tipping it with a minnow for a large profile will also yield great results.

jacktr1

Hey thanks for the great info on walleye guys. Will make sure I have all of that in my tackle box and will let you know on my success. Really appreciate this. Jack.
    PS: When does the bite usually stop, I know this action can’t last forever, wondering what temps turn off the feeding.

Don Hanson

The bite can go a little soft during the peak spawning times. The two factors include length of daylight and of course water temps. as a reference spawn temps usually fall between 45 to 50 degree temps. It does take some time for the fish to recoop after the spawn, especially the big girls. The good news is this period seems to be shorter on river systems then it does on inland lakes. On lakes this period of what seems to be inactivity can last anywhere from 10 to 30 days. The good news is usually on a river system it may only be a couple of days before they are back on a major feed. After the spawning peroid on the river, I like to look for temps to hit 52 degrees. For me this seems to be when the big fish are back on a major feed.
    Overall look for the action to not completely die but just slow down for a couple of days.

jacktr1

Great news Don. Thanks a lot. I am going to experiment with all of this info. Jack.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.