Suburban – Barn doors or lifting tailgate?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

For those of you with Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons, which type of door do you prefer and why. Leaning towards the lifting tailgate, but am finding some with the barn doors in my price range.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I hate the lift gate. We’ve only ever had one lift gate over the years. I’m a fan of the barn doors.

Can’t tell you really why as either are fine. Just a personal preference I guess.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have a lift gate and its good for my use. Very nice having a power lift button right on the key remote for when my arms are full.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Lift gate sucks if your garage is on the shorter side. Also, when the struts get older, they are pretty worthless when it gets cold. I’ve never had the barn doors. I like the look of the lift gate better, though.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

For those of you with Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons, which type of door do you prefer and why. Leaning towards the lifting tailgate, but am finding some with the barn doors in my price range.

100% Lift gate. Have had both and prefer to see what I’m towing without obstruction.

deertracker

My dad had a few suburbans with the barn doors. They always seemed to leak. If it is a newer suburban the lift gate should be remote controlled which would be nice.
    DT

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I have owned 3 suburbans and all had the barn door type.

I liked all three.

igotone

I would NEVER go with lift gate

I have had Suburbans since 1992 and the Panels Doors have never leaked on any of them

U can open one side get your filleting stuff out and clean fish

if they stop the panels I will stop having one of the BEST SUV’s out there

just my opinion

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Looking at early 2000 trucks…so power door is not available as far as I know. Not concerned about the rear view as the two dog kennels usually take care of that. Good point on the garage height….could be close there. I think the struts should be replaceable if they were not working well in the winter.

Only benefit I have heard of with the tailgate is blocking rain when it’s open. I could see a benefit there when needing to change out of wet hunting gear if it’s raining!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Good point on the garage height….could be close there.

I have to be careful or mine hits the garage door.

Quote:

I think the struts should be replaceable if they were not working well in the winter.

They aren’t cheap (at least if you go OEM).

Quote:

Only benefit I have heard of with the tailgate is blocking rain when it’s open. I could see a benefit there when needing to change out of wet hunting gear if it’s raining!!

That’s come in handy for me a few times!

clh1968

Lift gate only! Barn doors leak and squeak. I would never get them again.

bdlucas

I have had both and I can’t say that I prefer one over the other. Each is better in different situations. One thing I like about the lifting tailgate now is that I can open just the glass if I want. Also allows you to really pack it full that way….just make sure you open the glass first when you get there. Either way you are getting the best SUV out there.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

owned 5 suburbans.

first was a drop gate.

never again.

last four have been barn doors.

much happier.

and if you want to load anything with a fork lift, you CAN get it in…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve had both of them on previous Yukons. My 99 had the barn doors. The hinges wore on them and became harder to open, squeaked and woudn’t stay open. The lifting tailgate on my 06 wore out to the point it wouldn’t stay up when you wanted it too. It got totalled before I tried fixing it. My 07 has an autolift tailgate. So far I like it, but don’t look forward to having fix it when it quits working. When it opens, it hits my garage door. Had to put a piece of foam insulation on my garage door to keep it from messing up my tailgate.

I actually prefer the lift gate.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Our family has had a few yukons over the last 8 yrs couple with barn doors and a couple with liftgate. At first my dad was all about the barn doors, even though they squeaked and rattled. Then he bought a demo with a liftgate and he loved it, bought the next one with the liftgate again.

I think the liftgate looks nicer, nice being able to just open the top, when out hunting if its sunny and warm open the whole thing and have a little shade or if raining its nice. Our struts never went made but a buddy’s did on his jeep and I think they were $20-40 at carquest.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Thanks for the info guys…this helps! I am now looking for one with the lift gate…so that rules out of few I have on my list to look at.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.