Which Headlamp?

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Up until now I’ve used some less expensive headlamps $6-$10 for night fishing. I’m looking to upgrade to four new headlamps for my clients to use. With about 100 choices out there I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I have no reason to spend more than $20.00ea, being my $6 lights lasted me 4 years and didn’t work too bad. Just looking for something bright and easy on batteries. Thanks

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I’ve had good luck with the Energizer 3 LED headlamp.

Right around the 15.00 mark.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Joe,

I take a lot of people night fishing and nobody has ever complained about having an inexpensive caplight handed to them. If you go with nicer brighter ones, they forget to turn them off and end up blinding you. My 2 cents.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

Are these the forest green colored ones? If so I’ve had trouble with the tilt being too loose with no way to tighten it?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

Joe,

I take a lot of people night fishing and nobody has ever complained about having an inexpensive caplight handed to them. If you go with nicer brighter ones, they forget to turn them off and end up blinding you. My 2 cents.

I like cap lights until it get’s to be October and you need to wear a warmer hat. Then a head lamp seems to be the ticket. I think I’ve decided I need to have both option on hand. Customers can never be too comfortable

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Quote:

Are these the forest green colored ones? If so I’ve had trouble with the tilt being too loose with no way to tighten it?

Yes, those are the ones. I haven’t experienced the problem

with the tilt being too loose. Have you had it happen to

more than one?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

No just that one, maybe I’ll have to look at that one again.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I was looking at this model. Has anyone used this one before?

Headlamp

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Go with the petzl tikka xp and never look back! I have 3 of em and they are awesome! The 60 lumens of light will make you wanna puke when you hear about people talking about the 10 dollar headlights.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

i use a princeton tec headlamp but 1 of my2 lamps has the problem u explain about the tilt being too loose and not adjustable. if i were2 do it all over again i would do a re-chargable battery pack so i didn’t have2 buy so many batteries. hope this helps out…

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

X2 mine are a couple years old and are gray and black not green. Check out Home Depot they have a large area of head lamps. A friend of mine got one from Medards that has the battery pack on the back part of the strap and that thing is like a search light I think it was around $29

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Another vote for petzl tikka

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

A friend of mine got one from Medards that has the battery pack on the back part of the strap and that thing is like a search light I think it was around $29

Those sure are bright but I don’t care for the whole separate battery pack idea.

I do like the looks of the petzl tikka xp. How does this light turn on and off? My old lights I had to cycle though all of the settings to turn it off… “low”,”med”,”high”,”strobe” and then finally “off”. I’d prefer one that would click “on” click “off”.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve been using these for 6 years. Bought two back ups last year for $25. I’ve pulled out the “spotlight” (thanks Holst!)and just use the red led.

Light on batteries and lights up the boat enough not to trip. After all, we don’t need to see the shoreline…just to the end of your rod.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I love those lights BK. They are built well, but I can’t find em anymore. A buddy of mine bought 5 on close out from Fleet for $5 each. I wish I wouldn’t have missed out on that deal.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I love my Princeton Tec Remixes. The have flood and spot lights and each has a low and high power. Battery life has been good. The high power spot throws out quite a beam. They work well for those dark dog walks

If you’re persistent and patient, keep your eye here. I often see heavily discounted headlamps there. I got my Remixes for $20.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I have 3 petzl’s and love them.

fish30

Black Diamond works well for me. More than 20 bucks but worth it like a good pair of sunglasses.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The tikka has high, low, flash, then off on the switch, if I remember correctly. You hold it down to switch between the led and the spot light. The led lights are plenty bright and the batteries will last forever — I never use the spot. If you leave the light on for more than a few seconds you don’t have to cycle through the settings, it will turn off on the first click. It’s no hassle whatsoever. Between the compact/light design, the high light output, and the tremendous battery life, you’d have a hard time doing better. I’m totally sold on led lamps in general for the battery life.

huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Grat post Joe!! Will be keeping an eye on this.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.