GPS/SONAR COMBO OR SEPERATE

• walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I currently have x-65 on the console. I have been thinking of buying a lms-480m, but the more I think about it, would I be better off getting the 4800 mapping unit and keeping the x-65. What do you think????

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

The first question that comes to my mind is, how much do you want to upgrade your fishfinder? Were you thinking of getting the LMS 480 because you really want to upgrade your fishfinder or just to add the GPS? Or both?

In my mind, the fishfinder is the most important piece of electronics for fishermen. The GPS is second. The LMS 480 gives you an upgrade in your fishfinder and provides you with the GPS. The downside is that you will have to split the screen when you want to use both at the same time. But it will get the job done.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Yes, I probably do need to upgrade both units. The x-65 is ok, but it lacks power and detail. Do you feel the lms-480m is a good replacement?

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Wade has got a huge point here. I personally would invest my money in a powerful sonar first and put my GPS second in priority. As for having separate units….I will tell you that once you fish with a separate gps and a separate sonar, it is really hard to go back and run a split screen with one unit. I run a Global Map for my GPS unit and a X-15 sonar on my dash and love having the “Big Screens” for viewing pleasure!

Good luck

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I can buy the Eagle Fishmark 480 and the Eagle Intellimap for the exact price of the Lowrance lms-480m. Do you think this is a better way to go? It almost makes more sence.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I guess it really depends on what you want and what you will be using the units for exactly. The Lowrances have more watts than the Eagles but the Eagle you are looking at should be more powerfull than what you are using now. With the combo units you only have one unit and that can be nice if you have to keep taking them off if your boat sets outside. But like Steve said the bigger screens are sure nice. I myself didn’t have the money at the time to go all Lowrance so this is what I am using on my boat. For the back end for running the kicker motor I have a Lowrance X65 with speed and temp and a Lowrance GlobalMap 3200 GPS. For the console I am using a Eagle FishMark 320 and a Lowrance GlobelMap 3200 GPS. The units on the console are basicly close to what you are looking at in the two units for your console except you are looking at the 2004 version which is the 480. On the front for the trolling motor I have the Eagle FishMark 320. The bigger screens are really nice. I don’t know where you live but I also bought the #10 Navionics chips [maps for Minnesota and Iowa] for the 3200 GPS units and that chip will work in the Eagle version GPS. The chip cost about a 129.00 but is ”really nice” to have. Wade carries ALL of these units and chips and you get fast free shipping and no sales tax if you don’t live in Iowa. You will have to decide what YOU want and what kinds of bodies of water you will be fishing. I know you are not exactly hearing get this and get that but each person may fish different bodies of water and want to do different things with their fishing and how they want their boat rigged. I am very happy with what I am using and was able to get alot of units for smaller dollars than what Steve has on his boat and they work great for me but he fishes the PWT and huge bodies of waters and needs the expensive Lowrance X15 type units more than I do. I fish the river and smaller lakes. So it depends on what you want to do with your units. When you decide what YOU want and get it please feel free to share what you went with and why. These discussions can also help other people decide what may be best for them too as we ALL learn from each others sharing. Thanks, Bill

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

It’s hard to say what’s the best way to go. Believe me, I understand that it makes your head hurt trying to decide which way to go. If you’re like most of us, you’re trying to stretch your dollar as far as you can while getting the best electronics you can. Everyone has their personal priorities when it comes to electronics. What I’ve learned by talking to good fishermen (the guys on this site) is that a good sonar unit is critical. Unfortunately, we can’t all spend $700 to a grand on a sonar unit. So, we have to compromise a bit. Of the options you listed (Eagle FishMark 480 and Intellimap 480 VS LMS 480) I’d say you’d be better off with the LMS 480. It’s a better sonar unit that the Eagle FishMark. There are other options. If you make the sonar you’re number one priority, you could look at something like the Lowrance x135 , or even the new Raymarine DS400x Color Fishfinder . That new Raymarine is top-o-the-line in this years new releases. One of the best all around sonar units out there is the Vexilar Edge , but that’s moving toward the more expensive units. My point is, think about getting a high quality sonar unit (and I do put the LMS 480 in that category). If you want a separate GPS unit instead of a combo, you have options. If you need to balance the budget a bit, you could even go with a handheld unit to say some money. A guy can get a Lowrance iFinder Pro for $180, or an original iFinder for $140. Or, look at a Garmin eTrex Legend for $180. All are mapping GPS. All can get the job done for a low price. You can always move up to a full screen GPS in a year or two. If you can afford it now, get teh full screen GPS. The Eagle IntelliMap 480 mentioned is a decent choice for the price. Don’t over look the Garmin GPSMAP 162 for $330 (a favorite of our own Mr. James Holst ), and of course the Lowrance GlobalMap 4800 for around $395 (Derek Johnston’s favorite).

There’s many options (too many right?). I would suggest making sure you get a solid sonar unit first and let that determine your next step.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

How much will you use the GPS? Going with the LMS-480 gives you the option of the data cards. I would junk your x-65, its considered dinosaur technology now. Even todays lower end finders are much better.

Good Luck.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Derek Bud, I’m heart broken. [lol] The X65 works great for trolling 3-ways, cranks, etc on the river and small lakes when running the kicker. Thats the only unit I haven’t replaced and do think about it at times but it still does the job for me especially with a GlobalMap unit next to it.

Thanks, Bill

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Oh shes still a good runner Bill.

Just that I couldnt believe the difference the new technology makes. My tourney partner was still using an X-65 on the bow until last year. I remember the days though when those units were top of the line. It blows me away that just 5 years ago I paid $450 for a new X-85 when today you can spend half that for a unit thats twice as better. Hey if that X-65 is treating you well, hang on to it.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks for the great replies guys. I already have a handheld gps(sportrack map). The main reason for getting a new gps is to use the electronic charts. I started fishing Mille Lacs last year and am now hooked bad!!! So the 1′ contour map is the driving force in this whole thing. I wish I could afford the x-15 w/ gps pack and just be done with it. I will just have to keep thinking I guess. Please keep the suggestions coming I really love to hear what you great people have to say. Thanks again!!

Don Hanson

I run a Garmin 188 which is a gps-sounder combination. Although I very seldom run a split screen the combo unit works well for me. If I am using the gps I can plug my Garmin 240 finder into the 188 transducer. By having a second mounting station I can just plug the 188 into the power cord and I have full screen use of both units. This saved me money, instead of needed three locators I can just tranfer one around as needed. This works well for my fishing partners or when I am fishing from the back of the boat.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

The main reason for getting a new gps is to use the electronic charts. I started fishing Mille Lacs last year and am now hooked bad!!! So the 1′ contour map is the driving force in this whole thing.

Then there’s your personal priority – A GPS to run the ReelBottom 1′ maps on Mille Lacs. Some options are: The Lowrance iFinder Pro – this handheld will accept the Navionics LakeMaster ReelBottom 1′ Contour data card. The Lowrance GlobalMap 4800 , of course. And, the Eagle IntelliMap 480 , as far as separate GPS go. For combos, you’ve got the Lowrance LMS 480 or the Eagle FishElite 480 . All of the above units will run the Mille Lacs 1′ map. Now you just have to decide which one…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.