Front Deck fish finder?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I am looking to get something for the front deck of the boat. What would you suggest?
    I was thinking about a simple flasher unit.
    Other thoughts would be great.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have a fl-8 on the front of mine I love it!!!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I have a flasher up front, and love it because it gives me an instant depth reading, so i know if i’m getting too shallow….I’m thinking of running both flasher and graph up front though.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I do have an fl8 for ice fishing is there a way to mount it up front?
    Im guessing that they are made to take the outdoor weather.
    What different transducer would I need?
    Thanks again

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You can get a puck ducer to mount to your trolling motor, and a mounting kit. Go to Vexilar and scroll down to Puck Tranducers. The kit is there too.

HNTNBUX

I just took my Vexilar FL-8 transducer off of my boat because I switched to a Marcum LX-3. I loved using it on the bow and in some occasions I could use it just like ice fishing, watching my jig and the fish. As soon as I find the transducer for the LX-3 I will be hooking it up. Gander Mountain doesn’t have any and they have not stocked any. If anyone has seen them I would appreciate the heads up.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

No help on the LX3, but you should be able to get the Vexi kits at any sporting goods store. It comes with the gimble bracket, power cable and transducer. If I remember correctly, you’ll need a hose clamp to mount the ducer, I don’t recall if it comes with the kit. I love the fl8 up front, just like ice fishing, see a fish rise to my jig, slowly start to pull the offering away, BAM, FISH ON!!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Haywood,

I personally like the graph up front only because it gives me some memory in case I miss bottom features because I am re-rigging or tending to other details. For my fishing style, I often do not find the need for instantaneous results. I run a Lowrance X-97 up front. Nothing special, but gets the job done. However, I know plenty of anglers that love having flashers up front! If you have a flasher for ice fishing, it would make the swap out very easy! I used to do this with my Clearwater classic years ago!

Good luck.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

The kits can be ordered direct from Vexilar , or I think Reeds or Thorne Bros. would have ’em as well.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

BTW, I also like the Garmin 250 , new for this year, for the bow.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Haywood,remember to watch your transducer cord on your front trolling motor.There is a post floating around the site with good directions about the proper set-up.I had mine cut through night fishing with Wade Kuehl.I told him to be carefull
    Ryan Hale

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The flasher will work good with the mounting kit. If you want a picture type sonar you can’t beat the price right now on the Eagle FishMark 320. It seems they didn’t drop that model this year when the added the 480 version but dropped the price on the 320 instead. I really like mine. I have been using it for a year now. I also have the mounting kit which would be nice for fishing suppended Crappies if I want to add my vexilar to the front too.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

If you are not sure about flasher/graph you can the the Lowrance X67c, it’s a graph, that also has a flasher mode.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

I keep my Vexilar FL-8 on the bow and the transducer is attached on the bowmount trolling motor. I purchesed my accessories from the Vexilar web site. This way I can take the Vexilar to another boat and also use it for ice fishing. The only problem I have, other than lack of fish is sun glare in the Vexilar. I have heard of guys using 1lb coffee cans painted black as a extension or sheild, I have not yet tried it as yet.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

The new FL8 and FL18 are now viewable in direct sunlight.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

I put my FL-18 on my bow and love it!!!!

The bottom lock feature is a great asset when fishing those bottom dwellers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.