Strange E-mails?

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I’m getting e-mails that may be a possible virus or someone manipulating my e-mail box. The sender is people I know and the e-mail contains a zip file which I’m glad I cant open. I checked with the senders and they didn’t send them. Now when I send an e-mail to someone, its putting in text that I didn’t type such as “bite me” and “eat me” pretty clever but obviously someone really needs to get a hobby or go fishing.

Anyone see this? Or have this problem?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Do you have any virus protection like Norton? If you have norton and it did not find anything try downloading McAfee.
    McAfee will find things that norton missed.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I got my McAfee running but I cant enable the e-mail scan?

thanisch

Derek, it sounds like you are infected with a virus. These viruses are nasty these days. If you don’t have a virus scanner which automatically updates itself everytime a new virus pattern is put out then it sometimes doesn’t matter if you have virus scanning software or not. I would recommend going out to Mcaffee.com and trying there free virus scanner. Here’s the address.
    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
    I subscribed to McAffee’s online virus protector a couple years ago after I got a virus and it’s the best thing that I’ve ever done. It automatically installs updates for it’s virus patterns and I never have to worry about getting caught when a new virus comes out. I hope this helps.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Troy, is right on…..having the automatic updates from Mcafee is the only way to go! I think I pay $29 or $39 a year for it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the tip Troy…and Welcome to the best dern fishing site (and help zone) on the net!

thanisch

Derek I don’t know if you have the same version of McAfee that I have but if I right-click on the McAffee logo down in my system tray then go to VirusScan and then Options I get a screen says something about ActiveShield and then has 3 checkboxes, one of which says Scan Emails and attachments.

jwellsy

Most of the folks I know, use this free anti-virus program
    called AVG.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Also, keep up with your windows updates.
    And run Spybot and Adaware once in a while.
    Kerio makes a good free firewall.
    And don’t open attachments.

These apps are all free, and only cost you your time.
    But will save you many headaches.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

Derick, I use McAfee and I get new antivirus downloads just about daily. I just got one this am as soon as I went on line. It has been a well spent $30-35.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

D~
    The problems you are having are most likely caused by the recent Bagle.(variant) viruses. It’s not uncommon for the emails to come from people you know as the virus has done very well with spoofing email addresses. The rest of the guys are 100% correct. If you don’t have one already, get yourself a good anti-virus to maximize protection. And remember, NEVER open attachments if you don’t know what they are. Especially *.zip or *.exe.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Guys just a heads up you CAN NOT have McAfee and Norton anti virus on the same computer. You must remove one of them. The two are desinged so they work that way. If you try to load both on one computer you will lock up your computer. Then your looking at big problems. We have played around with this the two at work and still haven’t had any luck getting the two to work together.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

Quote:

Most of the folks I know, use this free anti-virus program
    called AVG.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

My wife does tons of EBAY and all she has is the free AVG. The windows and anti virus updates is the thing. You can set both to do this automaticaly.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks for all the help. I will update my McAfee today.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.