Question on glass boats

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I recently bought a fiberglass boat and have a question for you that own one. How fragile are they? I mean do you have to baby them when pulling up to shore and such? If I were to want to beach it on a shore will I put a hole in one pretty easy? I can pretty much figure out not to run it into rocks, trees, and other obvious things. I am just not sure how tough they really are. I am used to tin boats that can take some pretty good abuse and still be fine. Thanks for any advice you can provide to a rookie glass guy

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

As a material, the fiberglass itself is pretty tough. You are unlikely to seriously damage it just beaching a boat unless you hit something with some speed.

However, you do need to baby the gelcoat somewhat. It serves as a barrier between the elements and the actual fiberglass. Don’t drag it over the same rocks you might pull an aluminum boat over. Inspect the hull a couple of times a season and use a gelcoat repair product to repair and significat scratches. I cant remember who makes the stuff I use but in comes in a small glass bottle like model paint.

Good luck with the new boat

Dave

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I would suggest getting a keel guard if there isn’t one on there already. You can get them from any dealer that sells glass boats or Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops. It is a thick rubber strip 4-5 inches wide that goes on the keel starting from slightly below the eye in front down the keel towards the back. This is where the boat will rub the most if you pull it up on shore very often so it is a great investment. It is also the part most likely to hit your trailer when putting the boat on if you have difficulties.
    I have had my Ranger for 2 seasons and I wouldn’t say I have babied it, but I am careful with it….probably would have been just as careful with a tin boat.
    Congrats and enjoy the new boat!!!
    John

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

If you have a deep vee and intend to beach it often the keel guard is good advice.

Fiberglass boats are not fragile. If you motor hard into shore with any boat regardless of hull material you are asking for trouble.

Fiberglass is very forgiving if you hit things at a slow speed. It will not dent but it can scratch. Rocks are bad. Sand in OK, but you will eventually wear the gel coat away but that does not affect performance like a big dent in a tin hull.

You get what you pay for too when it comes to glass in terms of hull strenght. As an example…a Warrior is considerably more better built that a Patriot and can take more punishment. But a big rock is a big rock and they will win more times than naught.

Fiberglass in the hands of an idiot or novice is trouble. Why do you think most resorts use tin?

DONOTDELETE

I have a Ranger and the first thing installed was a keel guard. Now I go plowing into the beach all the time!
    Glass is great!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

AmWatson,

All the above posts aredead on in my opinion. I had 215 days on the water for 2003 with my Ranger 620 and have had my share of mishaps and shallow running, being beached on sand, gravel, ice dodging on the river, etc…
    The nice thing having a fiberglass boat, is the ability to get it fixed easily with relative low costs versus an aluminum boat that would take an act of God to get it repaired if by chance a mishap occurred enough to cause some serious damage.

Not happily to admit, but last week I dropped my Ranger right on the concrete of the ramp due to frozen bunks and a unhitched winch strap….long story, I think I will save that for another post?
    Anyway, the repairs will run me about $400-$500 to fix the gel coat and the fiberglass. Relatively low cost compared to the level of misfortune.

Good luck with the new boat!
    I am using is Greg Olson out of Chisago City to repair my issue. His number is 651-257-1389. Excellent work and low costs!!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Alright Steve. You’ve opened the door, now you need to tell the story. How bad was it and how did you get the boat back on the trailer? Inquiry minds want to know!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Don’t feel bad Steve, I saw a top member( ) of the In-fish staff drop his 2025 on the ramp. Took the strap off and backed it down and she came off the trailer. Luckily it was at a marina that had a power boat lift.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Okay, now you’ve got me all a little scared. I just took delivery of my new(to me)boat last night. It has a fiberglass hull and a carpeted bunk trailer. Is this a pretty common thing? Having them slide off of the trailer? Or are we just dealing with those rare Sr Moments that sometimes occur to those of us in our 30’s? I’ve read the posts about bunk/roller trailers and which people seem to prefer, but I have never launched/loaded a boat off of/onto a bunk trailer. I guess, after the investment of this week, I don’t want to do anything that would scratch/crack/put a hole in/total my new boat.
    Thanks,

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Just keep your trailer strap and safety chain on until the boat is in the water.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Thanks Derek! That’s what I figured, but you now how it is when you get something new, and it’s a little different than what you’re used too…
    Thanks,

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Just make sure your back boat straps are off before you put it in. Ive never done that before.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Well, never having had back boat straps, it sure is a good suggestion! I’m very impressed that you would think to share that information, especially since that’s obviously something that someone of your stature would never do!
    Thanks…

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Well i’m down to only once a year now atleast. Last year it was during a major tourney, it was my partners boat but I was the guilty one.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

skhartke,

My “incident” happened when it could have been prevented. As Derel mentioned, keep the strap on the boat until the trailer is in the water.
    My mistake is taking it for granted that the boat would not ever slide off because of its sheer weight. What happened is, the night before when I pulled my boat out of the water it was 20 degrees outside. The next day, I pulled up to the ramp and unhooked my straps as I always do and proceeded to back down the ramp. Low and behold the bunks were still frozen from the night before (even though it was over 40 degrees when I launched the next day) and the boat started sliding quickly off the trailer. Unconsciously I reacted quickly and stepped on the accelerator trying to get the boat to the waters edge before the boat would hit the concrete. Well, I made it to the waters edge barely. My transom landed in about 5 inches of water and suffered some road rash from the acceleration on the way down the ramp. IT was either this or let the entire boat land on the concrete and be stuck there without a way to get it back on the trailer or into the water. I have been guiding out of it since last week with no leaks amazing enough. This is one heck of a tough boat! It will be repaired early next week.

Do not try this at home!

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Jeez…. that brings me back to the maiden voyage of my boat 3 years ago. My dad and I were going to take it out (he was part owner at the time). We get to the launch, do the normal procedures. He unhooks the chain and strap. Well, we have a roller trailer. Needless to say, the boat was launched 6 feet from the waters edge. We got her back up, and launched her the CORRECT way . The ole’ man was playing captain, and proceeded to throw the hammer down. I had warned him about a shallow sand shelf . Guess what? We nailed that thing. So, in less than 1/2, we had a $1500 repair bill. Oh yeah, my boats aluminum.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Don’t feel bad DeeZee. Vick had a guy drop the same 619 ranger on the landings at Everts… two weekends in a row last year! The second time they had to use a skidloader to get it back on the trailer.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I do the old ‘leave the transom straps on’ once a year too. Not bad when you are alone but with clients…

The first time I did it I couldn’t figure why the fenders were still out of the water and kept backing down. I then started the motor but couldn’t get off the trailer with full power.

Another good one is leave the transom saver on, then back off and loose it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thats a good one Kevin. I spent about 20 minutes at a landing trying to get the boat off the trailer. Couldnt figure out why when I backed the boat in it wouldnt come off the trailer and then when I pulled out the trailer was off the side of the ramp. Here the boat and trailer would drift everytime I backed in. Figured that out after about the 5th time putting in. I’ll never do that again.

I hope.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Got myself a free transom saver that way.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t fit my trailer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.