Ringworms; ecnook

• carptracker
    Missouri

Ecnook – how do you rig those ringworms? Do you fish them the same way you do for bass? How come I don’t catch walleyes when I’m plastic worming for bass at places like Pueblo reservoir or Stockton Lake? (There’s plenty of walleyes there.) I don’t want to sound like I’m doubting you – I don’t, and I am not a very good walleye angler. Just trying to learn something. Tell me to go get the IN-FISHERMAN mag if you want, and I will. There are just a few spots around here that have good walleyes and saugers, and I have yet to do well on saugers or walleyes since I have moved here. Thought something different might do the trick.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Carptracker,

In-Fisherman Mag…..no way…I’d never do that…..

How do I hook the ringies up? Well I wish I had my camera with me but I don’t so here it goes.

The ringworm has a top and a bottom (for me). I always like to run the ringworm up onto the jig so that the tail is fluttering down under the jig. If you look at the ringworm there will be two seam marks from the mold, find the center between the mold marks so that the tail is facing down and push the ringworm up from the point of the hook, up about an inch before popping the hook back out (right in the middle of the two seams). This will align the ringworm evenly with your jig allowing it to swim evenly.

That’s about the best I can do verbally. I hope this helped.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I rig them both ways! I nail the daylight’s out of the smallmouth bass on Mille Lacs!!!!!!!!
    Tail up/Tail/down…………?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Steve,

That picture is bass ackwards from my explanation. I have the tail pointing down towards the bottom of the jig. Heck i know people that catch fish with that sucker sideways, but thats just the way i do it.

carptracker
    Missouri

So you guys are putting these things on a jig, instead of texas or carolina rigging them. I suspected that. That might explain the no walleyes when bassing thing. What do you suppose is the difference between a ringworm and any other worm?? Incidentally, my main use so far for those ring worms is dip-baiting catfish. I take half a ringworm and thread it on a baitholder hook, and dump it in the Bowkers or the Sonny’s sticky. I haven’t done this for a long time, but it is a good way to catch a lot of pan-sized cats, and a good way to fish with kids. The ringworms work just as well at holding the bait as do those more expensive catfish dipbait rigs.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

Reading Carptracker’s post bring’s me to this question…Do you guys using Ring Worms dip or spray them with attractant. If you use attractant, what kind?

THANKS
    JIM

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Carptracker, I’d also say if your targeting LM Bass you won’t be as likely to catch walleye on most waters. Very seldom do I catch walleye when I’m fishing for LM bass. Smallies yes, Large mouth no. They just don’t tend to hold in the same areas in most waters. Just a thought… Good luck!

rmartin
    United States

Walleyes will definately take a texas rigged worm. I have caught several nice ones on the Miss pool 4 while bass fishing. Perhaps the lakes you fish in Missouri are clear and you are not fishing deep enough or in low enough light conditions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.