Vacation and Grand Marias?

• AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Off for a weeks vacationg in about 10 mins…YAAAY

Wife and I are going to spend a couple days in grand Marais and are planning on doing the tourist thing, take pictures, golf, look at tha lake, etc.

Never been there, they tell me it’s nice.
    Any suggestions on things to do or go either up there or enroute from mpls??

TIA

Al

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Take the scenic route north of Duluth to Two Harbors instead of the HWY either on the way up or way down. Lots of tourist attractions along that route.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks, would that be 61 then??

al

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

if you get up the gunflint trail at all, you should stop by my aunts store, Devils Track General store, i believe it is about 10 miles up the trail, tell them JAKE sent you!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve heard good things about the Angry Trout Cafe in Grand Marais.

marbleye2
    Eagle Lake, MN

Just got back from up there…booted early though when the state parks shut down. Gotta do a Swen and Ole’s pizza…it’s pretty tasty. Can rent kayaks and paddle around the big lake or hike the Superior Hiking Trail. I think Lutsen and Duluth both have Alpine coasters or something like that if you like the adventure ride type of experience.

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Grand Marais is an awesome city, its my favorite part of the state. I recommend taking a late afternoon/evening and drive the whole gunflint trail, good chance of seeing some great wildlife, deer, bear, moose, wolves etc. I also recommend stopping by the little bakery in grand marais for some of the most delicious donuts/baked goods out there. Hope you have a fun and safe trip.

Take Care!!
    Kevin

deertracker

Go north of GM and pick wild blue berrries.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

There is some small restaurant on that route too… kinda famous, I think I remember for the pies

rwmcvean

Quote:

There is some small restaurant on that route too… kinda famous, I think I remember for the pies

Betty’s Pies, outside of Two Harbors. If the state parks/trails are open, take a hike along either the Gooseberry river/falls or Cascade river/falls on the way up (or back). I tried to propose to my wife on the beach there years ago but she couldn’t sit still long enough as the mosquito’s were driving her nuts so I had to wait a few weeks later.

Kevin J Dobbs
    La Crosse. WI

IF you have a couple hundred extra bucks Go see capt. Clint from Far Superior charters,he has a thirty foot boat docked at the angry trout. You and the wife could have some fun fishing for Lakers and Chinook, he has half day trips.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Good stuff, thanks all.

Al

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.