Lake Pepin Ice Breaker

• fireflick
    Alma WI

Just a heads up to anyone fishing below Lake Pepin. The Ice breaker will be locking through the Alma Dam shortly here. They figured there is about 18″-20″ of ice still on the lake. Please be careful out there. A lot of ice will be coming down this weekend. They were not sure how long it will take them to get throught the lake.

riverfan
    MN

Thanks for the heads up. Should be fun to watch. They sure ran into a bunch of problems last year. There was a tow and barges aground for about a week just above La Couplis. Will the ice be a problem as far down stream as Alma?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Any idea about what time this thing will be going through? It would be fun to make road trip and see this.
    Thanks,

riverfan
    MN

If she was through the lock when fireflick did the post she’s probably at the foot of the lake already. How long the whole process will take is unknown. I would suspect it will happen tomorrow.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Thanks,
    I guess I’ll still be at work then.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

Interesting page to read, thanks riverfan

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

BREAK UP THAT ICE

jhall
    Lake City, MN

No sign of her yet up here in Lake City. Im going to roll up a keg here on the deck and wait to watch that bad boy break up 4 moths of built up aggression. Soon as that Ice is gone, and I can find a place to launch, The Champ will be back in action!

RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!!!!!!!

jhall
    Lake City, MN

She is right in fron of lake city right now and moving at a prtty good clip. Thank God!!!

JHall

fireflick
    Alma WI

She went through Wabasha yesterday at 5:10pm. She had one set of barges full of weight. When I crossed the Wabasha bridge this morning there were all kinds of big ice chunks floating down. She must be making progress. So be careful.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Last night it was out in front of Pepin. What a strange sight. Just dark out in the middle of the ice with its lights shining off the snow. I have had a real long week and I had to pinch myself a couple of times to make sure I hadn’t fallen asleep. It was the last thinG I expected to see!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Someone call the news crews and get them out there with their choppers and get some footage of this..

jhall
    Lake City, MN

Im sure that it will be on the minneapolis news tonight, it always is!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.