Rod suggestions?

• jakefroyum

My good spinning rod met its demise after an encounter with the wife and the tailgate. I need to get a new one and was looking to spend $50 – $100. I probably want a 1 piece 6.5-7 foot in the light-med range. Any suggestions?

Moores Bait

Limit Creek smoothie comes to mind

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Cant go wrong with a st croix!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think the St Croix triumph is in that price range. Their Mojo series may be about that price to.

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

St Croix Eyecon.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

I love my ML 6’6″ St Croix Premier. They go for $100 if I recall.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

St Croix Eyecon in that price range.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m St Croix all the way and love all the rods listed above but my vote for you would be the Limit Creek. Everyone should have at least one smoothie.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I have a number of Fenwick HMX rods and really like them. Nice sticks for 75-90 bucks.

Knutty

whittsend

What’s the application? Bass, walleye, panfish?? Casting, jigging, etc…??

whittsend

Without more info, I’d be inclined to vote St. Croix eye con… (But I am more of a jigging guy, and that fits my style fine.) It would also be good for light casting duty. Split handle is very nice and reduces weight. Seems to be a nicely balanced and sensitive rod for the price.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I love my 6’6″ M/L Eyecon.

showags
    Hastings, MN

Just to add another option, I would look at a 6’6″ Shimano Compre ML F. I have a variety of St. Croix’s and other rods in the boat and for the $100 price range, I like the Compre over my Triumphs and Premiers. Seems to have a more sensitive tip (fishes like a XF of other brands), strong backbone, and I like the cut out handle that exposes some of the rod for extra sensitivity. I would actually say it is closer to the Avids than the Triumphs/Premiers as far as quality.

The Eyecon has certainly caught my attention though.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Check out the St Croix Eyecon series, very nice rod I started using them this year, like it allot

jakefroyum

Thanks this will narrow down my shopping.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

compare your warranty of the Eyecon to the Shimano Compre…..

I’m not a betting man, but if you gamble with rod warranty, I’m betting you’ll go Shimano with their lifetime, over-the-counter warranty, such as what you’d get at Thorne Bros.

Better rod, better warranty…..

jakefroyum

Good thing the busted rod wasn’t an Ugly Stick or I’d be shoping for a new tailgate. I have a couple of those around for kids and people who don’t care.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.