Asian Carp – Must see!

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

hmmmm a TRE….. target rich environment….

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’m getting a “page can’t be displayed error:”

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

It opens a real player video on the Minneapolis StarTribune’s website. If you have real player installed it should work.

Ahhh… It possible that you may need to be registered on the StarTribune’s website.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

That was some neat footage

riverfan
    MN

I think MN, WI, IL, MO, IA, SD and all the states that will have to put up with these fish should bring a class action suite against Arkansas for allowing the importation of the Asian Carp. This should never happen again.

carptracker
    Missouri

Believe it or not, things are actually worse down here on the Missouri, and the fish are bigger (they’ve been here longer). On the “Asian Carp – Interesting Story” thread I posted a picture of the guards we had to put up on our boats to keep from being hit by the things. I compare getting hit by one of these to being hit by a thrown bowling ball. And note that those guys (the first boat,at least, is a fisheries professional boat) did not have PFDs on. If they worked for me, they’d be fired. My guys know that, too. Imagine getting hit by one of those, and knocked out – and out of the boat.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Hey Carptracker

I read an article about installing “bubble fences” to herd the carp into areas where they could be removed. Could you shed some light on this for us? Will this also force other fish into these areas?

The article also mentioned four different species of Asian carp. I have only heard of two species; the Bighead and the Silver.

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Also, Mr Carptracker…Did you see Slop Bass’s post about sunfish…what do you think it is?

carptracker
    Missouri

There are many, many, species of Asian carp. The ones that have been introduced into the US are the goldfish, the common carp, the four that people around here mean when they say “Asian carp”. Those four are the bighead, silver, black, and grass carp. Of those, only the black is not yet, as far as we know, established in the wild in the Mississippi River basin. The black carp is currently in use in aquaculture in the lower Mississippi Basin, so it is still a threat. There is also the crucian carp, which may or may not have been introduced in the US, along with goldfish,with which is it closely related. The crucian carp is not established in the US,that we know of. That’s good, because it is a major invasive species in parts of Europe. Common carp are originally from Asia, but we got them from Europe where they were already long-established, which is why you will sometimes hear them called European carp or German carp or Israeli carp. Bighead and silver carp are thought to eat primarily zooplankton and phytoplankton, by filter-feeding. Black carp are molluscivores. Grass carp primarily eat aquatic vegetation or, if they can get it, terrestrial vegetation.

The sonic bubble curtain will probably affect all species to some degree, but there is evidence that it can sometimes be “tuned” to affect certain fishes over others, but you can expect some overlap.

And I think that sunfish was a – oh, I forget now, could you remind me???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.