Goodbye old friend

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

They say that every man gets one great dog in his lifetime, Abby my German Shorthair Pointer was that dog for me. We got Abby when she was just a pup and my daughter Emily was just two years old so these two grew up together and were best buds from the start. Abby was the first and only hunting dog I have ever had, I had dogs growing up as a kid but never a hunting dog. Abby taught me early on to trust her nose, she was a natural born hunter she was a bird hunting machine!!! I never had to teach her how to hunt it was in her blood, she was very eager to please and took to obedience training very quickly she was a very smart dog. Abby had turned 14 years old on May 11 and was in very good shape for 14 years old many people would comment that they could not believe how old she was. Last Friday she unexpectedly took ill her legs gave out from under her and she was limp as a ragdoll with no energy. She did not appear to be in any pain or distress, she would rest up and go outside for a while then come back in the house and collapse again just exhausted from her short time on her feet. Sometimes she would not even make it back into the house and I would have to carry her back inside to her bed. Abby lost her fight this afternoon with my wife Wendy by her side when she passed. The quote below is from Wendy’s Facebook page & the first pic is one of my favorites of my three girls at one of my favorite places Everts Resort, the second pic is her first hunt at a game farm when she was less than a year old I have no idea who that kid is with her in that pic (thanks for the great pics that day Al ) good memories to be sure! So long old girl you will be missed.

Quote:

Our dear Abby passed away at 12:30 this afternoon. She had turned 14 years old on May 11. She had hopped up on the couch for a soft place to lie while I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. I came out and knew she was getting comfortable to go. I stroked her and told her how much we loved her, and she quietly passed on. She is running in the fields along side the pheasants as we speak!

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

sorry to hear that steve.

arklite881south

Sorry for you Loss Steve. She’ll be burning up the fields in the sky with my best hunting buddy “Shaq Daddy”. He was my best hunting dog and family pet that nearly brought tears to my eyes……AGAIN when hearing about your Pointer!!

Those born to be hunting dogs are truly mans best friend Steve. She lived a good long life for a hunting dog at 14 years of age.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

Very tough loss for the whole family.

very sorry to hear of this and we know the dog is better now with no pain at all.

After I had put my last dog to sleep I said I would never get another as I did not believe I could go through that again.

2 weeks later, our vet called and they had a little pup that was dumped by the owner and now Annie is my new pride and joy.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Out of the 10,000 reasons to have a dog, there’s only one reason to not have one.

The day we have to say…

“So long old girl you will be missed.”

huskerdu

I lost a Vizsla 2 years ago (Huskerdu was the dogs name), I have a 3 year old also, I have had the pleasure of a couple great hunting pointers over the years. I would not be the same person without a hound or two around. I miss all that have passed more than some people, sorry for your loss. Huskerdu

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I know your feeling too well Steve… You cant replace them,
    just cherish their memories…

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

I’m sorry for your loss. May the memories of your time together ease the pain of her passing.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Steve,
    Sorry to hear to Abby’s passing, way too tough.
    Great pictures,
    Many years to great times together are wonderful memories.
    Jack

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Sad Day –

Sorry for your loss –

You know a good bird dog – when you have had the pleasure of owning one.

They are amazing creatures and a treasure – enjoy the memories.

Dog

KirtH
    Lakeville

Sorry to hear about the loss of a great friend.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Sorry to hear about your loss Steve

TroyRozeske
    Burnsville MN

So sorry to hear about you loss. Looks like you will have always have great memories!

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Remember, she’s at the Bridge scouting out all those good pheasant spots, waiting for you…

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Sorry for your loss.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Sorry to hear about your Abby. It is always tough to loss a good friend.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sorry for your loss.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Sorry for your loss Steve. Never easy losing a friend.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Everytime I read one of these on here I get teary eyed…..Sorry for your loss Steve….

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Everytime I read one of these on here I get teary eyed…..Sorry for your loss Steve….

X2. I assume we all remember how we felt. Sorry to hear that Steve.

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

Sorry Steve,its always tuff..

glenn57
    cold spring mn

sorry for your loss. i too know that feeling. been 4 years, still stinks!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Sorry to hear, it’s to bad all the years of love have to end in sadness, 4 times for us and it never gets easier.

Al

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

sorry to hear about your Abby Steve. These posts always get me choked up.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

sorry for your loss, it is never easy for me to read these type of stories, brings back memories of my old chocolate, but I am a better hunter because of him.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

X2. I assume we all remember how we felt. Sorry to hear that Steve.

X3

sandmannd

Sorry to hear of your loss. Never easy, no matter how many dogs you have.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Remember, she’s at the Bridge scouting out all those good pheasant spots, waiting for you…

So well said stu, one of my favorites to read about our old friends gone…

Mark

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, my family and I appreciate it very much!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.