Its about that time!

• gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

I bought my very first boat one year ago. I got the winterizing thing down. Now I want to know if you have to do anything special when you get the boat out. Do you have to go through the lower unit fluid again or do you just fire it right up. It is about that time and I can not wait to get out.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Good post Gimpy. I always change the lower unit oil in the spring as I do in the fall. Its cheap enough and it cant hurt. A few other things I can think of are general inspection type things like checking fuel lines, changing spark plugs, check your boat plug for cracks around the rubber seal. Flush the cooling system with flush muffs when its ok to turn your garden hose on. Spiders like to make homes in your cooling system. I’m sure other folks will ad some more tips.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I change the lower unit once mid summer and just prior to winter storage. New spark plugs when I pull it out of storage. I do a quick look under the hood for anything that might look wrong. Grease the bearing buddys on the trailer and check the air in the tires. Install the battery’s and give them a charge if needed. The last steps are getting the tackle and things back in their place.
    Just a few of my checked items……..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Derek..I hear you with the spiders. Last summer I lost my water because of ladybugs…so keep an eye on the p…hole all year.
    When greasing the bearings, don’t forget a couple of squirts in the stearing arm.

But most of all…leave some fish for me!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.