rod reels

• MichaelJim

What is a good rod for jigging for walleyes on the Mississippi? I really like the phluger presidental reel and what a good rod that is relatively cheap. I would like to keep the total around $100.

fieds
    ottertail county

get to scheels and grab one of the “us reels” supercaster 180sx reels for starters, order online if needed. as for rods, i picked up an okuma for 40 bucks the other day. “reflexions” is the model. i used to not be on a budget, but i’ll tell you this 40 dollar rod stands its own next to my eyecon. this combo will be my everyday workhorse for sure. great combo under 100 bucks. i’m just leaving for lake traverse walleye opener and it’ll get a workout flyin jigs into the riprap.

up man
    UP MICHIGAN

I have that same reel on a fenwick HMG. They are around $100 I believe. If you live close to Spirit lake Iowa you can get one for $60. I love the rods for walleye fishing.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

In that budget range, I have to say I’m impressed with St Croix’s Eyecon series. I have only handled in the store, but they have a nice 6’3″ Medium power Extra Fast tip. Great jiggin rod.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I prefer 7′ rods as a standard length for eyes.
    The Quantum PT series rods have really stepped up in quality in the last few years, and I think a lot of guys look past them.

The Energy PT is HSX52 graphite construction

QES744FA Spinning 7’4″ Medium Fast 8 – 12 lb. LIST PRICE $79.95

Or a step up is the Tour edition pt 62-million modulus graphite construction creating one of the lightest and strongest rod series in the PT line
    PTS704FA Spinning 7’0″ Medium Fast 6 – 12lb. List Price $99.95

I switched over to the Quantum Superlite PT last year and love them better than my Loomis rods

fieds
    ottertail county

well traverse was a wash. water temp 39 degrees and water like chocolate. zero bites, saw one fish caught close to the rocks from shore where we couldn’t go wit the boat. the u.s. reel was fantastic. cast a mile. new rod equally impressed when i loaded jigs for its weight rating. medium 6’6. i did get to reel in part of a fish; carp scale about the size of 50 cent piece. bout a week with sun and traverse/bigstone should be into its typical fish fry factory

sandmannd

Limit Creek Smoothie with a Shimano reel for me.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You said total $100 ( rod + reel )…most of those responses wont do that… but I saw a Pflueger Combo on sale at Gander MT with a Pflueger Arbor 4730

reel with matching 6’6″ Med rod for $99. Nobody beats that deal!

Gander Mt in Woodbury Mall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.