Resort Recommendations – Leech or Winnie

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’d like to take my dad and brother on a short (2 night, 3 day) fishing trip this spring. Sometime before June 5th. I’d like to target walleyes and was thinking of Leech Lake or Winnie.
    Can anyone suggest a resort that is on either of those two lakes? The choices are numerous so am hoping to get a few recommendations.
    Ideal would be to have a resort on the lake, with dock space or lift space so we would not need to trailer the boat each time. Would be nice to come in for lunch or dinner and be able to head back out again.
    If possible, we’d like to have a small cabin in which we could cook for ourselves.

Anyone have a recommendation or two for me to look into?

Thanks,

Eric

gdickmeyer
    millelacs

Give pat or rhonda a call at denny’s resort on winnie.You can rent a cabin and a slip for your boat there and they also have live bait and ice too.Not a five star place but not a crap hole either.Prices are very reasonable too. 218-665-2222.Cant really help you out on leech. We always stayed at the stoney point campground. gary

bluewing
    North Iowa

Anderson Grandvu lodge on pine point, leech lake is a good location. Have stayed there on three occasions and it is an good resort with full services and a protected harbor to park your boat overnight.
    The location is close to the narrows,goose island and a number of other popular fishing locations.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

McArdles on Winne. Located right where the river enters the lake. Docks are tucked in. No matter how rough the lake gets, the dock are alway protected. They have some older rustic cabins and newer ones too.

http://www.mcardlesresort.com/

-J.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Tamarack Resort on Winnie is a great place to stay. Right on the water with dock space available to leave the boat in, new remodeled cabins etc.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Bowens overlooks Winnie but has their docks on Cutfoot Sioux so you have a choice of running out into Winnie or staying in Cutfoot. I’ve caught bigger/better fish in Cutfoot than Winnie and the spots are easy to fish. Williams Narrows is also on Cutfoot and has reasonable prices and good facilities. I haven’t stayed on Winnie because you are at the mercy of the wind.

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

High Banks on Winnie, close to some of the best fishing at that time of the year. Chippewa Lodge, Traders Bay or Acorn Hill on Leech. Nice thing is you have a lot of options just pick a place that meets your needs.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

High Banks on Winnie, close to some of the best fishing at that time of the year. Chippewa Lodge, Traders Bay or Acorn Hill on Leech. Nice thing is you have a lot of options just pick a place that meets your needs.

High banks suffers from a poor launch and problems with wind, people are great, but I’d stay towards cutfoot if I was to go back.

Personally I’d hit Leech.

Al

sandmannd

High Banks on Winnie. Can’t ask to stay with better folks.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I would have to say for docking and being protected I would go with Tamarack, Bowens or Williams Narrows in Cut Foot. Tamarack and WN have a nice set up for kids as well. WN has a nice bar over looking the lake and there will be some good fishing in CF at that time too.

wilson1984

Quote:

McArdles on Winne. Located right where the river enters the lake. Docks are tucked in. No matter how rough the lake gets, the dock are alway protected. They have some older rustic cabins and newer ones too.

http://www.mcardlesresort.com/

-J.

Agree

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

If you go to Leech that week make sure you call way ahead of time. There is a FLW tournament that week and lodging may be at a premium. Rumor has it over 100 pros and co-anglers.
    Walleyebry NPAA #993

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Stayed at most places on Winni over the years, the only resort I would not stay at again is Denny’s. We do however use their ramp and docks. I guess keeping my options open is what we ended up doing, so we started staying at a Portage Lake resort Resort Page , right between the south end of Winni and a short dive down some gravel and you are on Portage Bay on Leech. Heck Portage has some dandy crappie and decent sized walleye and no slot currently. Cabins are not new, but they are clean and very well kept, really nice owners also.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I would recommend Four Seasons, which is on the west side where the Mississippi River comes in. It is next door to McArdles. The nice thing is they have covered slips. The cabins are pretty nice too, especially if you are bringing the wife and kids. People are nice too.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for all the recs guys! This will give me enough options to look into!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.