Amery Area Report

• coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Just got off the phone with Gen from Gen’s Bait & Sport Shop in Amery. Here is the lowdown on the ice action for some of the area lakes –

WAPOGASSET – Anglers have been getting walleyes on the north end of the lake. Two different presentations have been putting some fish on the ice. From 7:00 p.m. to midnight they have been getting ‘eyes on jigging Raps or Angel Eyes with a minnow head. After midnight the bite has been on tip-ups & golden shiners. Most fish have been coming from 8′ -10′ of water. They are also picking up some crappies near the island on the north end. For the late afternoon/early evening bite try the 12′ depth. During the day the action tends to be in 8′ – 10’ of water. Best presentation for the crappies has been a Demon teardrop with a crappie minnow or waxie.

BIG ROUND – Anglers have been having decent walleye action by the boat landing on the north end of the lake. The areas near Grassy Island and where the Straight River come in seem to be producing the best. Fish are willing to bite jigging presentations & on tip-ups. The Indian Bay area is also giving up some crappies. Demon teardrops, Genz Worms, and Fatboys with crappie minnows or waxies seem to be the ticket.

BALSAM – Walleyes are hitting in the channel between East Balsam & Big Balsam. They are also getting some ‘eyes around the islands. Most of these ‘eyes are falling victim to a jigging presentation. Anglers are again using jigging Raps or Angel Eyes w/minnow heads. Depths are 8′ – 12′ of water and the best action seems to be between 5:00 p.m. and midnight. They are also getting some sunnies around the islands as well. Best depths tend to be 6′ – 8’ of water. Moonglow jigs with a waxie or a spike are putting these fish on the ice.

APPLE RIVER – Panfish action has been pretty steady on this body of water. However, they tend to run a little small. You will need to be patient and sort through the little guys to get some keepers. Demon teardrops and waxies seem to be the ticket for the mixed bag of panfish you will find here. Gen reports that they are getting some nice northerns on the river! Tip-ups & sucker minnows are icing the nice pike.

Thanks for the help with the report Gen. If you are heading for the Amery area, stop in & see Gen for the latest info. Gen’s Bait & Sport Shop is just north of Amery on Hwy. 46. She will be more than happy to try & help put you on some fish. You can also reach her at 1-888-USE-BAIT.

bkman
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the info Coot. I’ll be heading up that way for the first time this weekend. Seems that after this cold spell the ice should be more than thick enough to drive on.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Gen said the ice was pretty good up that way and people were driving all over. Let us know how you do bkman. Good luck up there!

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Hey coot , good report from the north, hopefully people check it out and put up some post. I will be working for the next 30 days straight , only get an hour at night during the week to fish so seeing these reports helps ease the pain. Say it loud and be proud MUDUCK.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Auger filled and on the way out the door now….I’m hoping for an awesome report tonight….

Quote:

I will be working for the next 30 days straight

H— on earth! Hope you get the next 30 off…with pay!

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

Do you ever fish The Clam Flowage/ Yellow Lake area?

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I used to get up to Yellow once or twice a summer. Haven’t been there for about 5 years now.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Do you ever fish The Clam Flowage/ Yellow Lake area?

Are you referring to summer, winter, or anytime in general? I was getting up there at least once every summer/fall but missed out this last year. What’s your experience up in these areas?

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

I have only fished the Clam Flowage and the St. Croix River during open water. We have a cabin near Danbury/ Webster and canoe and deer hunt in the area. I would like to get up there ice fishing!

Bird
    River Falls, WI

My brother bought a cabin on the Yellow River about half way between the dam and Yellow Lake. Took the nephews out on the river slopping for bass last August and talk about fun. Lots of Northers and LG bass. Toward evening we threw chug bugs for smallies near timber and caught 8, my nephew caught a 4 pounder. Can’t wait to fish it this summer.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

My brother bought a cabin on the Yellow River about half way between the dam and Yellow Lake. Took the nephews out on the river slopping for bass last August and talk about fun. Lots of Northers and LG bass. Toward evening we threw chug bugs for smallies near timber and caught 8, my nephew caught a 4 pounder. Can’t wait to fish it this summer.

It’s one of my absolute favorite places! The current is just fast enough to keep the pressure on but slow enough you can get multiple casts to the same hole if you “just KNOW” there’s a fish there!

There’s panfish to be found in the slough areas and weedless deep in the lilys can get you some lunker bass too! I haven’t had much for muskie/walleye encounters in the river but I do know the muskies get in there!

Great for surface twitchin’, plastics drifting, and spinnerbaits (inlines too!). Just pick a spot…………they’re EVERYWHERE some days!!!

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

Horseshoe: Fished it in late December and had no luck with the panfish, although im not much of a pan fisher. We had about 12 flags throught the day but all little northern. Not to exciting.
    Pine: Been out there about three times this year. Hit the panfish once in Early December but no size at all. Been really slow lately, way to many people! Overall tip ups have been slow and all small northern. Where to all those big bass go that you an catch all summer?
    I was also wondering if anyone had heard anything about the action on the Apple River. I’d like to get out there and go after some big northerns. Hows the action right now and are any big ones bitting? Thanks alot

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Haven’t been on the Apple myself this year, but last time I talked to Gen at Gen’s Bait Shop, she said they were getting some nice northens up there. You might want to give her a call to find out, she would certainly know more than I do. Could possibly even cough up some key areas on the river to hit, which could save some time prospecting.

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

My uncle lives on the Apple River North of Amery and he has been catching some nice northerns on tip-ups the last two weeks, gets his bait at Gen’s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.