Looking for W WI Muskie lakes.

• woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Is there a list of lakes that contain fair to good populations of Muskie?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I can rifle you a list tomorrow………….I jsut don’t have it on me. Also can’t remember the website that should have the same info……………..cuz…………I never go there!!! For Western WI though, the two most popular are Deer and Bone Lakes. There’s more though and I’ll list out that info for you tomorrow!

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I really would appreciate it with the river getting so high and all, need a new game.

JoJo
    Inactive
    Eden Prairie

We fished a Bass tournament on Bone last weekend. If you’re looking for Muskie this would be a good lake. One of the guys boated a 38+ incher.

I caught a small one, but had big ones rolling on my bait in shallow water.

Jo

SuperFluke
    Chippewa Falls, WI

the WDNR has a book of all the named lakes by county and what species are in them and relative abundance. You can download it in pdf format here WI Lakes Directory

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Thanks for the leads, hope to get out this weekend. As I recall from my days up north, Muskies should be crusing the shallows looking for spawning bass to munch on.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Wooley!!!! HOLD UP THERE PARDNER!!! “This” weekend? Where’s the open muskie season in WI “this” weekend? Gotta wait until the 24th there buddy or you might have an expensive weekend………….and then you’d get mad at us for not telling you!

bigdog1
    NW Wisconsin

the muskies are in fact cruising the shallows right now ive seen them, but wont be fishing them until the opener, which is not this weekend, i’m right in the heart of it up here (siren) and believe me every year someone, normally more than one person ends up trying to explain to the warden that the 12 inch jerkbait they are throwing is for bass; doesn’st work.

gimpy
    Owatonna, Minnesota

Yellow river in Burnett county is great.The yellow river that leads to big Yellow.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Gimpy! You’ll have to show me the section of the Yellow you fish sometime! You mention feeding into Yellow Lake but I’ve never been on any stretches that feed into the lake. I’ve only fished the river as it flows out of Little Yellow. It’s a couple miles back until you come to the dam but what a great stretch of water and FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Thanks for the heads up Kid. Fear not though, I would have double checked that before hand. Just have this need to get on the water and have something big pulling on the line. Maybe I’ll just work on my casting. I was thinking that I could sit on my shed roof and cast big bucktails at Harley Riders as they pass by on the Hwy. Spose there is a closed season on them?

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Wooly here’s one of my favorite photo’s of a friends sons first musky.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Great pic Leinie!

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

He doesn’t look big enough to catch a fish like that. How old is he. Pretty Cool!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Fishing for Harley’s when they’re running is a hoot! You can almost tell……………..every spring what days they’ll be running hard! Very similar to when salmon run………..you know they’re coming and it’s not to eat so you gotta snag ’em!

If you can, get them early on, it’s a lot easier to get them in. Otherwise, there’s too much weed growth and they like to grab onto that stuff………………..makes you work harder than you should have to!

I like seeing the ones that are riding piggy-back! They really throw a fit when you snag one of them cuz it was a free ride and the one they had a hold of never comes back unless they’re sportin’ “beer-rings” or something of purpose! Speaking of beer, when the snaggin’ gets tough, you can often get them to slow down the pace with a chumming technique. The “Beer Stand” is a lure made by the Leinenkugels Lure Co. and was developed in Chippewa Falls, WI around 1837………..or something like that. Anyway, little did they know this would turn into a great “fishing” technique some 100 years later. It was originally designed for behavioral studies and was directly injected into the speciman. Therefore, it was long overlooked that there was actually an attraction for the stuff!

But not to get off track, sometimes those piggy-backers are even bigger than the one they’re attached to and they seem even madder at their “buddy” than being hooked by the bucktail! Man, they wave their fins and start yellin’ stuff that must be a good thing we can’t understand or we wouldn’t let the kids take up this hobby either.

Ain’t snagged one worth keepin’ yet though …………… somehow they just can’t seem to compliment my suburbian decor. Probably just as well………….I hear the skin on mounts don’t keep well unless you chrome the bumpers, front and rear, and it’s very hard to find anyone willing to do the stuffing anymore! Guess those wax guys ruined it forever and we’ll just have to settle for replicas………….bummer!

Well Woolybug-a-bug-a-bug-bug-bug-a-bugger (sounds like a Harley huh?), good luck on your venture and if you get into a good run of ’em, remember they gotta be at least 18…………..minimum of 18 and a daily limit of one per household! Also, beware of those big bellied females…………….Harleys…………….unique to the fishing world, are unpredictable in their spawning habits and you don’t want to negatively effect the future of our sport. Just put them in the “beer well” and wait for a likely candidate for piggy-backin’ to come to the LLC Beer Stand and that hog’ll do the rest!

For those of you that just don’t get it, understand that I’m just a big, dumb and a and that no Harleys have been harmed for the printing of this post.

Bubba-dee-ah-Bee-ah-Bubba-dee-ah…………That’s all Folks!

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Right on. What a battle! A good hook set on one of those hogs pert near yanks you off the roof. I am wondering though if it is legal to shoot em once you get them in. Like they did musky in the old days. I mean, you think a musky can really tear up the boat, A Harley dude could wreck the whole shed. Spose CPR should be practiced but what do you do if they don’t just swim away? The run is on, must have been a couple thousand gone by the house over the weekend.

OakRidgeResort
    Wisconsin

The Muskies are biting on Lac View Desert. My son caught a 36 incher off our dock last weekend and my brother-in-law caught a 40 incher 2 weeks ago. I was talking to one of the guys staying at our resort and said he had one up to the boat that was half the length of his oar.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.