Fall trolling on Lake Altoona

• bigpike

Spent some time trolling on Altoona the last few days with very impressive results, this is a Indian summer pattern and is best on the third or fourth warming trend day. I targeted perch with the hopes of a few walleye, I certainly found jumbo perch, some nice crappies, a 30″ pike, and numerous small mouth bass. Trolling at around 2.0 mph using #4 and #5 jointed shadraps in loud colors. My best area was found around a huge underwater island that tops out at 5′, trolling around this island in 10-15′-if you fish this lake you know were this is. I also did well trolling the shorlines in the same depth range but the underwater island was were most of my fish came from…

bigpike

The better half with a 12″ jumbo

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Nice report bigpike…ya know, I’ve lived in Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area all my 39 years and I have never fished Lake Altoona! Hard to believe!! May have to start though!

bigpike

For a small body of water it just plain produces big fish, I have not figured out the walleyes on this lake but I know guys who do very well for them. This lake can turn
    on a dime, 1 hour your killing them the next they wont even look at your presentation so I pick my spots to fish it, but it really is an unbelievable fishery for a relatively small lake…

HOOKSET
    Strum Wisconsin 40 Mi North of Pool 4

Bigpike,I have spent many years and countless hours fishing Altoona.You are right about this lake not always giving up fish easy but when you get them they can be dandys.I would like to share some info on this lake if you are interested in compareing notes. I know where you were fishing yesterday, some of the best structure in the lake. Drop me a line HOOKSET.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

I would love to hear some more info on Lake Altoona. Didn’t know it held walleye? Being from Osseo, would love to have a closer body of water to search for those ‘eyes. Nice report.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.