the dam on the yellow river?

• Anonymous

I have been by the dam that is made by beavers. Will somebdy take it out. it stinks you cant get on the other side with a boat

Anonymous

Beaver dams are only removed if they’re causing flooding. If a dam makes a pond, that’s fine. But if it makes a lake or flowage, the DNR will take it out.

What part of the Yellow are you referring to? I’m always trekking down the outlet from Little Yellow Lake and as of June this year, there was no Beaver dam. Just wondering where you’re referring.

YoZuri

why ruin it? it’s been my experience that there is always great fishing around beaver dams. they provide current breaks and lots of structure. if there are rocks, you pretty much have fish heaven..
    Kid, let’s try the Yellow this year. I’ve been wanting to try it but have no knowledge.

Anonymous

Money and politics my friend! About 15 miles north of the Goin family cabin is the Blue Hills State Forest. One year the beavers dammed up the outlet from Star Lake and the water began to rise…….and rise…….and rise……..expanding the shoreline dramatically, flooding out large sections of forest, and washing out firelane access. Soooo long beaver dam! There was a small piece of property that was about to be completely flooded over and I don’t know if this person did a lot of screaming or not but technically, he would’ve lost his property! I think it was the firelane access that finalized the decision but in comparing to Yellow, there’s lots of shoreline development along the lakes. If the beaver dam raised the water level enough to flood these properties, there’d be HUGE financial losses. I think it’s great to let nature be nature but I also know if I owned one of those properties that I’d bid the beavers farewell too!

It’s just been my observation/experience that whenever I happen upon a beaver dam, it either creates a small pond and is left alone, or it ends up getting blown apart because of flooding/land loss concerns.

If you want to hit Big Yellow, we can do that. We won’t be able to fish Little Yellow or the river in your boat though…………..at least not without relaunching……….and the river has some pretty shallow areas that I think you might have a little too much rig for. BUT, muskies on the big lake would be just dandy! If you want to hit those other two areas, I’d see if I could borrow my dad’s 14′ Lund with a flat floor. Guaranteed pike action on the river if the water isn’t all churned up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.