Nelson Lake- Hayward

• Anonymous

My wife and I are going camping at Sunrise Bay Resort on Nelson Lake. We were up there last year and know all about where and how to fish the panfish. What I am really wondering is if there is a healthy population of walleye or bass in that lake and if so, where and how to go about fishing them. We only go up there once a year so don’t feel like I would become the —hole that would always be fishing in your spot. Just an idea of what areas of the lake to hit. Thanks for your time and as always, have fun out there!!!!!!

Anonymous

For all of those who are contemplating fishing Nelson Lake for walleyes, DON’T. I talked to a biologist from that area and he said that after shocking the lake, they averaged 2 walleye per acre. 10 years ago they were 19 per acre. Of course I did not run into this knowledgeable fellow until after trying for a day and a half to catch the eyes. We fished them as hard as we could and did not catch one walleye. We couldn’t get away from the panfish. 18 ft. of water in the river channel = panfish. Trolling = bass. Lindy’s = panfish. Jigging= panfish, bass. Minnows, leeches, crawlers= panfish. If there are walleyes in that lake, I am yet to see one with my own eyes. Anyway, next camping trip, not Nelson Lake. We do like Hayward area though. Any ideas on which lakes in that area would be good for walleyes?

Anonymous

Anyone have any recent info on Nelson? I will be going there this weekend. Any info is greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks-

YoZuri

I made the same mistake of fishing Nelson in Sept. 3 years ago. This time of the year is tough on that lake. The only thing I’ve caught on that lake is LM Bass. I hear it’s really good in the Spring.
    Walleyes?
    Try Lost Land, LCO, Grindstone, Black, or Moose Lake. I also hear there are some walleyes in Sand Lake.
    Going to be fishing Black and Moose this weekend, but are going to be targeting strictly Muskie. Fished Lost Land last weekend and did well on hand size or better Crappie.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.