“Remote” Fishing/Camping Ideas

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m a MN transplant in the land of tasty little cheese curds.

In the past I really enjoyed going up to some of the lakes in Voyagers National Park and camping on islands. Not to mention the great fishing.

Is there anything in WI that offers somewhat remote camping and fishing combo?

I think I may end up heading up to Rainy Lake this year, but was curious if there is anything somewhat similar closer to home.

Thanks for your input.

Jason

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Jason,check out the bluehills area by Ricelake……a county campground,remote,quiet and out your backdoor.

jhalfen

The Chippewa Flowage is a “wilderness” lake in that most of its shoreline is totally undeveloped. It has scads of islands, many of which have first come/first served tent camping allowed. Good to great fishing for eyes, smallies, and toothies. Not to mention crappies in the early part of the year.

Another big plus in the days of $3 gasoline is that the flowage is ~ 2 hours from your place!

shayla

If ya promise to not take my favorite campsite, I’ll give ya a tip? Upper St. Croix River, especially the stretch north of Hwy. 70! Great muskie, smallie, and catfishing, and not too many people, and even less big boats….truly a paradise

bigpike

Though you wont get Rainy Lake fishing quality, the fishing can be pretty darn good at Willow Flowage near Minoqua, remote island camping and a beautiful lake setting makes it worth the trip, early in the year you can watch the musky’s moving up the Tomahawk river thet dumps into the lake in the 50″ class (please dont touch!) they are pretty lathargic and I’ve seen guys pick them up out of the river by hand and lay them back down, if you need a cold one park your boat and walk over to the Willowood Resort, Vicky and Herman are great hosts with great food, the Tomahawk river that flows behind there place dosont look like much but early in the year you can catch 30″+ walleyes and hook into big musky….

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Don’t forget areas of the Chequamegon & Nicolet National Forests. Also the the Northern Highlands/Americon Legion State Forest.

Just over the border in the UP of MI there is Ottawa National Forest and the Sylvannia Wilderness.

Mark

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

The mississippi and chippewa rivers have many places to pull up and camp. Lots of great fishing.
    I to will be on rainy this summer. Kettle Falls on the 4th good times!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Kettle Falls is a great time. Is that the most unique pool table you have ever seen?

Sully

banjo_minnow
    Menomonie, Wi

Yep its kind of tricky. I used to work there for a summer about ten years ago. Not a hole lot of people up there but it was a blast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.