Heading to Big Yellow

• Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Hey my family and I are heading to Ike Walton’s on Big Yellow Lake Saturday (8-20). Our old resort on Big Sand sold out and after 10 years of fishing there we are forced to change lakes. I was looking for a current fishing report and a basic idea of where to start searching for fish. We have some in our group with limited angling experience and our old lake fit them because it was full of easy to catch gills. Just wondered what to expect in a few days when we get there.
    I’ll post a report when we get back!

–Whitey

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Jason,

For muskies you can keep your boat in 7-9′ of water and cast bucktails, spinnerbaits, and jerkbaits over the weeds. If you do that long enough, you’re bound to run into a decent fish or two!

Let us know how you do!

John

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Thanks for the tip John. Dad and I have talked a bit about trying to catch a muskie while we are there this year. It’s a fish neither of us has ever tangled with. Thought it would be something to try on those rare times we are in the boat alone! Will chase panfish or something easier to catc when my mom, wife and daughters are with us! Darn three year old doesn’t have the patience for the fish of 1,000 casts!
    If I get lucky enough to catch one I’ll bring back pics and will learn how to post them!

–Whitey

BomberA

Go to the bridge between the 2 lakes and tell yourself you’re fishing for bass and you’re quaranteed to catch a muskie. That always happens to me anyway.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Jason,
    Just returned last week from Yellow Lake…my brother has a cabin on the river part. We fished the bars on the NorthWest corner of the Big Lake and caught some nice perch, gills, and about a dozen small eyes on crawlers. If you want some good bass fishing and have a boat that will go under the bridge into Little Yellow and then into the river section….I’d give it a whirl. I was throwing a black chug bug and craw tubes on the edge of the emergent vegetation…the top water bite was great. A couple fish in the 4 lb. range. My dad caught some nice gills in the river section too.
    Good Luck
    I’m heading back up there at the end of this month….hopefully the eye bite picks up.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. It will be nice to get away and hopefully we can find some willing fish!

–Whitey

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.