Dells Pond (Chippewa River) Walleyes

• CVFishing
    Eau Claire, WI

I am fairly new to fishing walleye on Dells Pond, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a few locations to try. Also are there certain techniques that seem to work well on Dells?

Thanks

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

First off WELCOME to the site. I have only fished Dells Pond through the ice for crappies and that can be real good at times. Are you shore fishing or are you fishing from a boat. I would guess that section of river wouldn’t be a whole lot different than the section between the dams in Chippewa. The current can really vary throughout the day depending on how much power there trying to generate. If the current is strong look for current breaks such as large boulders or a little slack water after the river makes a turn. I would try live bait and jigs, platics like super doos and ringies, twister tails. If your fishing from a boat give 3 way rigging a try that way if the current is strong you just use a little larger weight. Try using this rig while slowly going upriver with a spinner rig and either a minnow, leach,or crawler. I hope this helps and another good thing to remember it is a river and sometimes whats working on the Mississippi or other rivers also will work on the Chippewa. I once read that there was a good bite on rattle traps on the Mississippi and I dug through my box once while on the Chippewa and yep I caught some smallies and some walleyes on them. Have a great Easter and let us know how you do on Dells. Maybe a few others will post what works and where to try on open water. Steve

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

What I find works, is throwin out Rapala Countdown on the shores for Smallies and Walleyes. Fish below the Dells Dam if you get a chance. Great Sturgeon and Catfish.

bigpike

The pond area has some good structure for walleye that I slip bobber fish with success. Also it can be very good for musky at times with a good shot at a 50″ anytime you go! Smallmouth fishing is very good/excellent as you move into the river area and move up towards the dam. Give white spinner baits a try. I’ll have to try the rattle traps, sounds like a good idea. Also as Lieny said while slip bobber’n I will catch crappies along with the wally’s in the pond area. It also has some good cat fishing to be had for channels and flats, find a deep hole up the river and soak suckers upriver from it on the edge one night on the bottom. You better bring sturdy tackle if you want try that. Not all walleye info but atleast its a start, Good luck!

bigpike

Also it should be noted there are some great mountain dew ropes on the river, pack the cooler load the kids and have a ball. The best one is up river about 4 miles on the left, on a hot day there are plenty of people there so just keep your eyes open, while Dells pond is very under fished it can be very busy for boat traffic, jet ski’s etc. So pick your fishing times accordingly!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah Bigpike is right. Yuo can jump off the two tressl bridge or the ropes at Mt. Simon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.