Winnie Slot Limit….Any thoughts?

• Anonymous

Just a bit curious of what anglers are thinking of the slot limit on Winnie?

I personally think it has benefit the lake unbelievable already in the start of its third year. I can’t believe the number of nice 20-25″ fish that we are boating. Well just curious of all that have fished or still fish Winnie, it seems that many people are not taking advantage of this great fishery, I hope the slot is not behind this reasoning, if so be prepared for other lakes in the area to have similiar slots in the near future.

Anonymous

Hey Sean, I personally think the slot size should be changed to something like 19-30 go back.Thats my thoughts on the slot size. Why have to throw back a 17 inch fish and be able to keep a 26.5 inch fish. I would rather have 15-18inch fish to eat and throw back all the bigger ones. The plus to fishing Winnie is the nice perch that a person can just about count on for a fish fry and if you fish with real light gear you are bound to catch a huge fresh water cod. LOL

Not only that but only an hour away from great crappie action and a person can always head over to Jessie lake and catch those giant Red Eyes. Boy I wish I was on my way up there . Steve

Anonymous

My opinion is drop the limit to 3. Slot 16-20 and one over 20. But what do I know. I just like catching, well…and eatin, but if I had a choice, it would be a great catch.

WalleyeShamen

I think the slot could be a little higher, say 18″ or 19″ to 28″. After hearing about what happened in the last few years with people double tripping with limits of walleyes I think it was wise to put something in place.

In past years it seemed I could go out in May and catch 20 to 100 15″ and 17″ inch fish per day per boat with the occasional bigger fish. There were a couple different sizes of fish. Now it seems there are more larger fish being caught. This could be the slot, a good year class or a combination of both.

Lately I have heard several stories of the DNR taking 16+” fish and trying their hardest to turn them into 17″ fish. Although I don’t keep that many for the pan this puts a bad taste in my mouth. I personally have never been checked by the DNR on Winnie and if I am checked I won’t have anything to worry about as I put most of my fish back. It just bugs me that even though you can be trying to do the right thing, someone can come along to stop you and feel that they must try their hardest to issue a citation of some sort.

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

sean i think the slot is great ! you can really tell the difference in the number of nicer fish you catch , kinda a bummer to throw back a 17.5 inch fish but hey thats whats going to keep fishing great for the next generations , maybe baby colter will be able to catch some nice fish lol , well see ya on the big pond this weekend im sure , going to red , and stop at winnie on the way home !!! woioohooo!!!!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.