Muskie Spotting

• clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

I know that most of the people who read this are searching for walleye tips and so forth, but I can’t help but brag a little bit. I was up at the lake this weekend, have been fishing for muskies for about 10 years now and have not been lucky in my search until yesterday. I was about to give up, I told my dad that I needed a new hat because it wasn’t the lucky charm I needed. But judge from the picture if it was worth the wait! This hawg is 51 inches long and 34 pounds, caught on Lake Winnibigoshish – it was too heavy for me to hold, so the picture is of my dad who couldn’t be happier for me!!!
    Now I don’t know what to have as a goal for fishing? Am I supposed to retire when I am at the peak of fishing, or do I continue to look for something bigger? Oh, by the way, it was released back into the water for someone else to enjoy!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Fishing Girl,
    the heck with the folks looking for walleye tips. Congrats on a TERRIFIC MUSKY, it truely is an awesome fish. You may have have to make a big enlargement of your dad holding YOUR fish, and frame it, and put it in the living room. It might also make it onto your Christmas card pic, if your dad doesn’t beat you to it. after all he IS holding the fish. Would like to hear a little more about your decsions and day that led up to this fish. casting/ trolling/ lure. anyone go nuts after it was in the boat?????
    As far as the future for your fishing. you can relax now that the pressure is off. take one trip at a time, study your favorite species, and GO kick some ‘Ski.
    Congrats again, and always have that camera in the boat.
    Jack….

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Wow!!! Nice fish!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Nice fish!

I made a post last year about ‘ski’s and Winni. I spoke with a fella that had 5 fish over 50 inches…

Not that I know anything about ‘ski’s, but it seems like Winni is underfish for them.

The only thing that would have made the picture better is if you were in it!

What were you tossing?

Bob Bowman
    MN

I see that you live in St. Paul, if you are ever interested in hitting some metro lakes give me a buzz. I see we both have an addiction for chasing muskies, and those of us with like problems need to stick together.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Wow thats a pig. An awesome fish. I’d like one like that some day. What were you chucking when you caught that beauty?

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

I was using a Bionic Bucktail (Yellow, green, and orange – Northland Fishing Tackle) it was overcast and the lake was kind of rough, but we decided that we needed to go out from Cut Foot. (Such a waste to drive that way and not make it out on the lake) So, we went toward Three Rivers in 6-9 feet of water drifting to shore. I think that I had turned another one about 5 minutes before that one – not nearly as big though.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Is that your first muskie??

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

Not bad for the first Musky huh???

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Thats crazy! I know quite a few muskie anglers who’ve put a lot of time in on the best lakes in MN and are still waiting for a 50+” fish.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Awesome fish Fishing Girl !

Wow what a blast that must of been and to do it with the old man in the boat to boot ! Can’t draw up a better story than that. Congrats

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

My dad was excited but bummed – he now knows he has to catch an even bigger fish to beat me – we are a little competitive!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Congrats fishing-girl!!!!

What a monster!!! True trophy indeed!!!!

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

wowzers!!

I think you should have your dad get you a replica for xmas that would be a nice gift!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.