Last trip of the season…

• tomhowell
    Hibbing, MN

I made my last trip of the season today, sure hate to see it come to an end. The season for me on Winnie and Cutfoot was no less than spectacular, but I must admit the fall was pretty tough. Today was no exception. Two of us ended up catching 8 walleye, but fished a very long hard day. We had seven keepers and one beautifull fat 24 incher. All our fish came from an underwater point in about 9 to 12 feet, on a green fireball, 1/16 oz.

On another note, there is a tournament trail run on Winnie out of Nodak Lodge, the Winnie Walleye Trail. Its a blast to fish, with lots of good friendships made among the fishermen. We’d sure like to see the field grow. If you love fishing Winnie, and like good competition, please come join us! Take care everyone. Tom Howell

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

Congratulations on your tournament wins! Do you know of any Northern/Musky contests running on Winnie/Cutfoot?

tomhowell
    Hibbing, MN

Hi Fishing_girl,
    Thanks for the congratulations! There is a womans tournament held in July out of the Pines Resort that has a northern pike division. I know the woman who fish in it sure have a good time.

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

I turned the biggest fish I have ever seen by the Winnie Dam this last summer and I am HOOKED!

tomhowell
    Hibbing, MN

There are some real, and I mean REAL, horses in Winnie. There is a picture in Nodaks Lodge of a muskie that a tourist released last year without really knowing what he had. Muskie experts that have looked at the picture believe it would have easily broken the current state record.

I think you stand a good chance of catching a fish of a lifetime on Winnie. Good Luck! If you want anymore info. on the tournament let me know.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Doesn’t sound too promising for the walleyes up there right now but I am going up this weekend for one last time.
    The fish gotta start biting eventually. I was up a couple weeks ago and managed to scrape together a few eaters. Some friends were up on Cutfoot and Winnie last weekend and really struggled. I have been fishing up there for a long time so I will make my milk run of spots in cutfoot and if nothing goes I will get creative…I heard the River Rat has a special on dynomite this week.
    Good luck on the water!!
    John

tomhowell
    Hibbing, MN

Hi Buckshot,
    Well, how did it go?

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

It didn’t. They changed the forecast to 90% chance of rain for pretty much all day on Sat and with the fish not biting I couldn’t get motivated to make the drive. Probably a good thing too. I was going to hit Red Wing on Sunday so I went to pick the boat up from my parent’s(they have a big garage so I can keep it indoors ) and one of the back tires on the trailer was flat.
    Well 2 hours later with a fair amoung of sweat and a little profanity …I was able to get the spare on and by that time I just wanted to sit down and have a beer. The lug nuts were quite the….well they were really REALLY tight. I was probably due for new rubber anyway so I am taking it to a Goodyear dealer tomorrow and they are going to do 4 new Marathons for me.
    I am still holding out hope to make it up there one last time though.

tomhowell
    Hibbing, MN

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you. The forecast for this weekend sounds nice. I’ll be sitting in a tree, instead of in the boat. If you go, I hope you find some fish, good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.