Cranky Eyes

• sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Anyone been crankin on winnie? With the water temps getting close to the 70’s we should really start to see a consistent crankin’ bite.

The fish have made there move deep and finally switched from minnows to crawlers and leeches. Look for a detailed report tonight.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It’s been a couple years since my last trip up to winnie but I’ve pulled a lot of fish from the high banks area on #5 & #7 shad raps in 7′ – 9′ of water when the wind was right. Does anyone troll the basin area on Winnie like is done on Mille Lacs? I would think there’s a good chance this pattern exists on Winnie too and would certainly be a way to target larger fish if one was inclined to do some looking.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m getting excited. My wife and I are leaving next Friday for 5 days up there. First time with boat there. I’ll be checking status on this site when the time gets closer but I already have lot’s of ideas. I’m glad to hear cranking may work since that is an easy way to fish with the wife.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

sean,
    I was up there over the 4th and did some cranking but toward the evining though. We did quite well. We made one pass in a spot I wanted to try and pulled in 3 fish in 30min. or so. Had some friends that were on the south side pullin cranks off a bar and they were finding fish too. I was in shallow along the weed line. Like I said it was toward the evening though.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Any specific color combination working better than another. I have always found the black and silver to be best.

We are starting to see good numbers of suspended fish out amoung the mid-lake humps and bars. So the time is right for those Salmo minnows or perch cranks.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

If one were too try too target open water eyes on Winnie where would he start? Do they suspend off the edges of the midlake structure? Can you find them pretty much anywhere over deeper water? I’ll be up for 4 days the first week of August and might do some searching out there.

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

I was just up there this weekend and tried the cabbage patch in front of the Winnie Dam and didn’t find much there. However, on Cut Foot I did land a 34″ and 36″ Northern in McAvity bay. One was on a bucktail spinner (yellow, green and orange) and another on a gold crank. Water temps were up aroun 74-75 degrees on Friday and Sunday.

tomhowell
    Hibbing, MN

Sean,
    Hope your vacations going well! We were on the water this weekend for the womens tournament out of the Pines Resort. Got to fish a lot and found a good crankbait bite in shallow on the cabbage with #7 shallow running shad raps. Surprisingly enough the blue, chrome and orange combo was really a hot color. Black and silver worked well also. Anyway, we’ll seee ya Saturday at the WWT. Good Luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to IDA fishing_girl
    Better late than never

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.