WINNIE IS A WINNER

• joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Fished Cutfoot on Saturday and fishing was really tough until noon when the water temps came up. Got larger fish in the afternoon sizes in the 19-23 in. Sunday was on fire, we went out on the lake a couple of miles north of the gap and caught 21 fish to keep 18, biggest fish was 23 1/2. 1/8-1/4oz jig and shinner was the ticket for us, wind and sunlight was the ticket to size and color of jig. I would definetely say that slower drags with an occasional snap produced more fish, especially bigger fish. I will be up again for Memorial and hope the action only gets better. Here is a picture of my Dad and Brother with Sundays 3 man limit, Tight lines. Drag Smokers Guide Service

vikes40for60
    Minneapolis

Same results for our group of 10. We ended up taking home over 50 fish. Our pattern was almost the same, we used turns and the speed change, in conjunction with snapping the rod to generate the hits. I felt the key to our success was using long shanked jigs with some sort of a green plastic (worm or skirt). Both fatheads and shiners were successful. We also fished in the same area as you (north end) fishing some rock and gravel transition areas near and around the dugout. We also fished Mallard, Tamarack-High Banks, and the Gap. Catching the most on the north end near the Dugout and Farleys Creek. Here is a nice 22″ fish caught on a 1/8th ounce lime jig, with green skirt, and a shiner, my first eye of the year.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Great reports. I will be up there Thursday thru Sunday. It sounds like fishing is the same as in years past. Slow jigging and the north end. I’ll make sure and post a report when we get back.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Great report guys. THe last two days have brought the fish in a slight bit shallower and much more aggressive. Look for the fish to be in 8-10 feet and possible shallower by the weekend. Don’t be afraid of jigging it with a little more action. As of yesterday they wanted it jigged with authority. We hung in the Tamarack area all day yesterday and went through nearly 2 quarts of minnows in 8 hours…lots of walleyes yesterday. Will post another more detailed report tonight.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Way to go guys!! When most had a tough bite, Winnie seemed to put out good fish. Any idea why that may have been?

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

Awesome reports. I’ve been coming up to Winnie on Memorial weekend for the past 8 years now and every year have a blast. Sounds like this year will be no exception. Will be up there Wednesday thru Saturday. Sounds like all my “hotspots” are producin’ some fish. Usually like to do some rigging with a big leech/shiner…any other suggestions? Thanks for any info. and the awesome reports.
    -KingCabelas

Gillsjobakken
    Shellsburg, Iowa

It was a hot week on Winnie, at least starting last Tuesday through Friday. Saturday was much slower as the weather took a turn for the worse. Water temps dipped a couple of degrees. We were seeing 53-54 (surface temps) most of the week. Saturday was 49-50. With a cold rain in the morning and stiff winds from the E/NE, it made things tougher. Still caught fish. Many perch and some walleye.
    The best part of the trip was the fact that for the first four days we caught our fish mainly on plastics. No bait! Very agressive! North Shore (Farley Creek, Dugouts), Ravens and Tamarack were the best areas. Mostly in 9-12 but by Saturday mainly from 12-14.
    Looking forward to next year already. If the bite gets better with the warmer temps, look out!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

King, Where do you guy’s stay? We’ve been coming up for about 7 years now and stay at Beckers on the west side in the river. Always catch fish, Some years better than others! If your not on the wrong side of the lake ,maybe we should say hey!

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

Chappy…we stay at the Chippewa National Forest Campground by the Cutfoot Sioux Inn. Nice little campground. Looks like the weather is supposed to be good this week, hopefully the fish will be bitin’ and the crowd won’t be too bad (yeah right). Well good luck.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

King:
    Welcome to the site. Hey crowds on Winnie, that doesn’t happen (LOL) actually this year we have seen alot less for anglers then the last three. BUt if this weather warms up like they are talking it could be a busy one this weekend. Take care and Good luck this weekend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.