Early Crappies?

• CCoops

Hey guys,
    I’ve been up for opener on Winni for the last 15 years. During the last couple of years our group has come up on Friday to avoid the crowded highways. I have read some of Sean’s posts in years past about the Crappie bite in Cutfoot, but have yet to capitalize. We have traveled to Red a few times and done well, but there are MANY other people with the same idea as us. Any suggestions for a reasonable chance at finding slabs with a little work? Bowstring, Sand, Ballclub, Cutfoot…?

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

if you dont want to travel to red i would try cutfoot , bowstring, sand has some nice crappies although i think less in numbers , leech has some huge crappies if you can find them and a small lake just west of winnie called portage is a good place its small and has nice crappies also good walleyes when too windy on winnie try the west shore for crappies !

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

CCoops,
    Wallygator has pointed out some lakes worth trying. Little Ballclub would be another worth trying. Are you heading back into little Cutfoot, past the bridge? This would be a great spot to try for those Cutfoot Crappies.
    Portage lake has some of the largest crappies in the area, but they can be hard to find. It is a fairly small lake, but there are 17 inchers in there. Are you going to be hitting the East side of the lake again this year? I have a gray Lund and a Evinrude this year, if you see me out there stop by and say Hi….Good luck with the crappies…

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Will the crappies still be going on Cutfoot a week after opener? Do you guys ever fish the area right before you get to the big lake for crappies? I am talking about the area with reeds all along shore on the Southwest side of cutfoot. I always see a boat or two in there each year.

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Likely they are pulling walleyes out of that area. Unless they are actually in the reeds. That area is a well known migration route for the walleyes heading back to the lake. I know that a few anglers in the reeds have caught some nice gills there, never have seen more then that though.

CCoops

Thanks for the responses guys.
    I’ve got a buddy up there with some secret crappie mud-hole that I think we’ll probably fish Friday. But depending on the wind and the bite we may have to investigate some of the other leads….Thanks again.
    Sean, we’re staying at Highbanks and most likely fishing from there to Stony (if we have to). I’ll keep an eye out for ya. I can’t wait. I’m just sick with anticipation. We’re in a 18ft. Blue Pro-V, Merc 90hp tiller, with four guys.
    Good Luck to all and try to respect others space!!!!

CCoops

You guys planning on talking on at particular channel?

sean colter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Normally we run on Channel 72. Not exactly sure what the plan is yet. The channels are fairly busy the first couple of weeks, I tend to stay away from the radio as much as possible. I will try to update all of those interested in what channel I will be running on opener.

wallygator
    cohasset mn.

ill be on the channel where most the fish are under my boat he he

clcartwright
    St. Paul, MN

Does anyone ever try any of the smaller lakes around Cut Foot and Winnibigoshish such as Upper, Middle and or Lower Pigeon, or even Amick Lakes?

Gilly
    Chisago area, Minnesota

Don’t forget the most overlooked crappie hole on Big Winnie is the 3rd River Flowage. Along the north side there is a cabbage bed that runs the length of the shore from Stony Point up to where the reeds and rushes start. Sometimes the fish are up in the old weeds in 5-7ft and sometimes they are harder to find if they are off the weed edge in 7-10ft. When I have found them in the past I haven’t caught any small ones, they all seem to be 13″ plus!!

CCoops

Fished lake “secret” on friday and caught 1 14″ crappie. The weather kinda hosed us. Did see a pile of cleaned crappies in the fish house at highbanks though. They were all 11″ to 13″ fish. They were all very “rusty” or golden colored. The walleye fishing was great!! Thanks for the Crappie tips.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.