smelting time again

• eye_hunter

well its almost time again for the smelting season, i know its still 3 to 4 weeks before the smelt start to run, but nothings wrong with asking early, if any of you guys in the duluth area see any action please post it here so that we all can come and join the action too. thanks and your help is must appreciated.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Ya know I would love to give that a try… anyone who does this willing to take me under their wing? Will trade ya trips, expences or whatever???-Chuck

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Its nothing like it was back in the 60’s and early 70’s. We usually manage a trip to the cabin in Two Harbors during the run, but that may not happen this year.

Lester River in Duluth is a possibility. The Knife is another. Stewart River in Two Harbors sees a few smelters each year IF there is any water in the river. Any river’s success in the smelt department is contingent on having enough water running in it to bring the smel up into it. The lake side of Park Point across the lift bridge in Duluth sees quite a bit of activity by netters and dippers. If it were me, I’d concentrate on Park Point. There would likely be a good number of others there to help out with the how-tos.

eye_hunter

its easy, just buy a net a wader and get there. you can see how its done. not hard at all. one tip is to wait for someone to catch a fish first before you should start, that way if you are a newbie to the smelt you save energy.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

ill let ya know when it starts up……we just lost all the ice today with the west wind but there is still 200 yards of it connected to shore and its goona stay there awhile with these colder temps.

eye_hunter

hey you guys, has anybody started smelting up there yet. i know the smelt probably have not run yet, but are there people smelting yet.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

a few here and there at the lester, nothing at pp. next week im guessing. good reports down in ashland.

tom linderholm
    Poplar, WI

Still nothing going yet, a few on PP last night and a few folks with very little success at the Lester, Ashland seems to have turned off. Strong east winds tonight will make it difficult on the point. Likely won’t get out again till Wednesday.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

My buddies did well on Saturday night off Park Point.

Time to get the nets wet.

Sully

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

ya we did good last night too. got a few gallons pretty easily. too big of waves to get out tonight tho.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.