North Shore Steelhead and River Conditions Update

• Steve Vick
    New London, MN

I made a brief trip around the Duluth/Two Harbors area today to check out the condition of the North shore streams. I was surprised to see that they are not as full as I had heard, and they are very fishable! It was a miserable day to be out with all the wind, sleet and rain, but it beat sitting in the house on a day off. As for the steelhead fishing, I didn’t see a fish caught and the few people I talked to hadn’t caught anything. That was on the Lester, French and Knife rivers. Here are some pics to give you an idea of what it looks like out there. Good Luck if you’re heading out steelheading and let us know how you do. I haven’t tried this type of fishing yet, but it looks like a fun time! Here is the bigger waterfall above the Lester Park main picnic area.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Here is the mouth of the Lester dumping into Lake Superior

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Here are some guys just upstream from the mouth of the Lester.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Here is a view of the Lester from under the London Road bridge.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Yes, that is a kayak!!!! There were a bunch of people kayaking in the icy waters and this is where they were taking out…the mouth of the Lester again!

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Here is the dog “formerly known as the Everts Resort Mascot”……wondering how to get to the top of that waterfall!

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Here is a brave soul fishing the French River mouth. I believe you can’t fish any of the river there…it has to be in the lake. The french river is a spawning area. Thus, this guy had to face the harsh winds of Lake Superior in his face!

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

I’m not sure if this picture is “awesome”, but this was taken today on “Hawks Ridge” in Duluth. The bright white area is ice in the farthest West part of Lake Superior, and that is a ship leaving the Duluth Port. From that view, it really was a neat scene. There isn’t much ice left on the big lake!

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Here is another view.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Another view of the ice/open water line. This was taken from the Glensheen Mansion parking lot in Duluth.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

One more pic of the ship.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whew…when you come through…you come through!

Thanks for putting up with my crap Steve.

Looking forward to next weeks report!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Great Pics Steve! Good to see you post again!
    Hows the Doc doin?

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Nice pics Steve. But don’t share TOO much info, we’ll have half the state up here.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks Steve. Its good to hear about whats going on up that way. Great photos also.

beavflick
    West Saint Paul

great info steve. cant wait to get up there this weekend and go in search of the love of my life, the might steelie. hope all is well with u up there havnt talked to u in awhile

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.