Fishing near Bayfield, WI July 24 – 31

• Don McAlpine
    Rochester, Mn

A wedding brings us to beautiful Bayfield Wisconsin July 24 – 31 this coming.
    Depending on what I hear I might bring one of three options:
    My Great Lakes rig, an 18 footer with all the down riggers, salmon sized tackle, or smaller lakes for bass, walleye, panfish, or fly fishing gear & waders. I know little of the area at this time of year and would cherish any info this group could supply

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I would say you would be out by the islands by then. Should be a good time.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

A wedding brings us to beautiful Bayfield Wisconsin July 24 – 31 this coming.
    Depending on what I hear I might bring one of three options:
    My Great Lakes rig, an 18 footer with all the down riggers, salmon sized tackle, or smaller lakes for bass, walleye, panfish, or fly fishing gear & waders. I know little of the area at this time of year and would cherish any info this group could supply

I went to school in that area and have fished it only a dozen or so times since, but the reality of that area and the time you have is that you’ll be forced to choose. The walleye fishing will likely have slowed in the inland lakes by then, but the panfishing and bass fishing should be great. The Iron river area has all kinds of great small bass/panfish lakes, and the smallie fishing is pretty incredible in and around Ashland. Lake Owen just to the south of there has some great smallie fishing as well.

If you want to stay closer to Bayfield, I’d check out some of the smaller lakes in the Moquah Pine Barrens. Bring a tube and a fly-rod and you’ll catch bass and panfish in most of them. That’ll keep you from having to drive all over, and those lakes you’ll likely have to yourself.

I know the trout and salmon fishing can be good around that time, but I’ll defer to others here with more knowledge on that subject! We fished some big browns at night on many of the rivers dumping into the lake near Ashland, but there’s a plethora of trout/salmon options. As mentioned, you’ll be forced to choose the bite that suits you best.

Good luck!

Joel

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Dmac, Bring everything lol….End of July is an excellent time to troll the deep water amongst the islands for lake trout. There is a short lived early morning bite for Chinooks but then you are spending your time running around. Smallmouth bass bite on Chequamegon is very good at end of July. Looking for rock and weeds adjacent to deep water. Can also be a good time to catch walleyes…trolling….Which is something I hope to key in on more this year. As Joel stated…many excellent inland lakes within 45 min for panfish, smallies, largemouths, northerns, walleyes and muskies. Feel free to contact me if you would like any more information.

Chris Beeksma
    Get Bit Guide Service

Northeast MPLS

I’d bring the great lakes gear, trout bite is typically solid that time frame. The big lake is typically more user friendly that time of year.
    A guy can walleye, bass, and panfish on inland waters anywhere in the midwest, but fishing amongst the Apostle Islands is an awesome experience all of its’ own.

Watch the wind forecasts closely, get out early in the morning, be safe and have fun!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.