Lake Superior 7-28 report

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

If you haven’t made it to Superior yet this year, get on it i wish i would have made it a long time ago. I got a crew set up so we headed out. put the boat in at 4:30am, and by sun rise we had a laker and a king in the boat with another fish on the line. shortly after sun rise we landed the fish, a night 14.5 pound laker

after the sun made it up, the fish must have gone to sleep cause the bite really slowed down. pulled out around 9am for breakfast, and a nap. we went 5 for 6 by 9am. 3 lakers, and 2 kings.

after our nap we meet some new crew members and went back for round 2. this time out fishing was a lot slower however we did manage another 2 of 5 losing a big laker at the net. (note to self, use the big net next time ) we did manage another 14 pound laker and another king

after another break for some food and much needed a/c. we put the boat back in for round 3, the evening bite. launching just after 7pm we went 0 for 4 lost one king next to the down rigger when the snap straightened out. (not to self, stop using cheap terminal tackle )

was planing on fishing past last light, however my bow light burnt out on me. went to replace the light, and my replacement was bad too! (note to self, get extra light bulbs ) funny this is that the light was fine when we put the boat in that morning, lol. we ended up pulling lines and made it back to the access safely.

i want to thank Jered, Jeff, and Mike for making it out there with me as it was a great day on the greatest lake in the world! hope you guys had at least half the fun I did

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

For me it was the first time I was on Big Water. Before this I hadn’t even been out on Mille Lacs in a boat. We left the Twin Cities at about 11 PM headed for a change of vehicles (car for truck+boat) about an hour north and then on to Lake Superior.

The first and second fish went to the other folks in the boat. I was on for the third fish and I’ve never experienced anything like this. I’ve never fought a fish that left me wondering if I was going to be able to get it all the way in before my arms gave out. OH, the burn. We boated a 15 lb lake trout that is now brining in preps for tomorrow’s smoker. My arms weren’t really helped by the fact that the fish pulled the planer board under, so I was retrieving the fish and the board.

On the way back in from the morning’s fun I got to pull in my first salmon of my life as well, a reasonably sized Lake Superior king. What a blast. What a fight!

I actually took a nap in a cuddy cabin… hadn’t ever even been IN a cuddy before this. So many first experiences today. Deepest water (well over 500 feet), kind of boat, kind of fishing, size of the “lake” (Superior really is an inland ocean), kind of fish, kind of gear… but it was all so fun and fast-paced that I didn’t have a chance to be overwhelmed.

During the afternoon run I was fortunate once more to find myself in the rotation against yet another 15 lb laker, this time on one of the dipsies. This was one determined fish… taking line out even with the drag cranked down.

I want to thank Mike for taking me and Jeff out. It was nice to meet the other Mike as well… we had an amazingly good time and experienced many firsts, added 2 species to my life list and met some really great people.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Good thing you got some more pics. I always say I need to start taking pics, but somehow I never do.

Thanks for coming along as I learned a lot yesterday. The biggest lesson, is watch out for that pond near the access in two harbors! ill let you explain that one

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great report guys.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Gald ya had a great time guys! Thanks for keeping those fish under control for me while i was gone

Awesome job on the 2 nice lakers!! I havent seen one that big all summer! Last few times out we topped out right around 9 or 10 pounds. Those are awesome fish! Any colors that worked better than others?

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Great report guys.

X2 Sounds like fun

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Looks like a great time, at the dock at 4:30 am would be a killer though..:)

Were the fish caught over 500 fow?
    Deepest we tried was about 150 maybe..

Al

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

the hottest rod was 300′ copper and a J-plug
    green spin doctor and a green fly took a couple two on wire
    a mag glow bloody nose spoon on 7 colors took a least one
    orange and black spoon on a wire dipsy took a couple
    and a purple and orange glass stick on a down rigger took a couple.

we fished from 130′ to 500′ best luck was around 300′ fish were taken from the 40-80′ down

hope that helps

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Quote:

Looks like a great time, at the dock at 4:30 am would be a killer though..:)

i have learned that it is a lot easier to drive up the night before and try to sleep in the parking lot before putting the boat in that early

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Thanks for the info, haven’t had much luck sleeping in the truck, but the local country inn might be a better shot..

al

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

or get a bigger boat and sleep in the cabin

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

or get a bigger boat and sleep in the cabin

You wanna mention that to the wife?

I’ll stand across the street, out of gunshot range maybe.

Al

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

just tell her about all the comforts, a bathroom!

armchairdeity

Got a pile of fillets in the smoker now. Can’t wait… They should be out within a couple hours.

He’d to smoke them with boxelder because it’s all I had in the woodpile other than pine… but it turns out that boxelder is actually a species of maple. Who knew?

More to come in a while. -)

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

did anyone from our crew get any pics of the mishap of a boat that evening? it would be a good story for others to learn from if we did

armchairdeity

I got about 10 minutes of video of them pulling it out of the mud, actually. I’ll try to grab a few snaps when I have a sec.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.