Lake Superior Spring Trolling

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I guess there is one good part about an early spring and that is the opportunity to get out on lake Superior and do some trolling. This time of year has to be my favorite for numerous reasons, but primarily due to the concentration of a plethora of species in one area. Coho, kings, Browns, lake trout, walleye and steelhead are all common occurrences this time of year, as warming water temps and bait fish severely concentrate these fish.

All landings are open around the Duluth/Superior area including Loonsfoot, Mcquade, rices point etc.

Fishing has been somewhat slow as of late, but in the coming weeks expect it to be very good as the water temps warm up a little. Most of the water is still in the upper 30’s out there.

If i am in wisconsin waters this time of year, my program consists of 6 planer boards (considering 2 people in the boat). All will have longlined crankbaits such as Rapala husky jerks, Rapala x raps, bomber long a’s. 700 reef runners and so on. I try to keep the colors as bright and loud as possible, although there are days where a silver rogue will be unmatched. These fish are high this time of year so do not overlook very shallow baits. Yes fish will rise 40 to 50 feet to hit a bait out there if water clarity allows.

This spring is going to give us great conditions due to the lack of excess mud that is in the lake. Usually this time of year it is solid mud out there with 5 inches of visibility, but not this year. Dont get me wrong, I love fishing in the mud but when it is solid mud for miles around it makes it tough.

Stay tuned for some reports as may guys including myself will be getting out there soon. I had 2 trips planned this weekend but the east wind never let up when i needed them too. Winds can be very unpredictable this time of year so be sure to use caution and pay attention.

norge

What kind of boat do you fish out of when you are trolling Grant?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hey Grant,

What exactly is needed to target salmon and trout on the cheesy side?

Is it just a WI license and a Great Lakes stamp?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

What kind of boat do you fish out of when you are trolling Grant?

I fish out of a 16.5 foot tiller. Just watch the wind and pay close attention and those with smaller boats will be fine. For example, just don’t run from mcquade to the south shore, instead put in at loonsfoot landing.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Hey Grant,

What exactly is needed to target salmon and trout on the cheesy side?

Is it just a WI license and a Great Lakes stamp?

You got it

szavodni
    Hermantown,MN

Hey Grant-

Not sure if you were out last weekend but the Minnesota Side(out of Mcquade) was slow…I mean dead.Overcast all day with a dense fog in the morning. Two weeks before that, same conditions in the morning, but once the fog lifted and the SUN peaked out, it was non-stop action. Talked to a few good friends who went and fished near the Brule, that was the place to be!! Al three parties did well on the cohos and browns. Thursday I may get out depending on the wind situation. Keep you posted

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Yeah personally I dont like the north shore a whole lot this early in the season. The warmer waters in the middle and south are much more appealing to me.

Yeah we just need the wind to work with us a little here. Lots of that NE stuff as of late

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.