Shields Lake

• Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

Went to Shields last night with my 8 year old son. Caught some nice sunfish very shallow on small jigs and leeches under a bobber. Later we went out looking for Mr. Marble Eyes. Too bad there aren’t as many walleyes as there are sheepies! Did manage to pull one decent fish and several smaller ones from 14ft with a jig and twister tail worked very aggressively. (Keeping the jig moving seemed to keep the sheepies away, slow down and you found the flock.)
    The son had a great time and we had a memorable evening together. Doesn’t get much better than that, unless the ‘eyes bite.

tgif

Plenty of walleyes in Shields….just mostly about 12.5 inches! Some pigs though. Some over 9 lbs taken out of there every year. Some bigger I heard, but did not see. The sheeps keep multiplying though….no one takes them out. Were the sunnies up on the spawning beds? Was the public access still a nightmare? I think it may be the worst access around for the amount of use it gets. TGIF

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

A few of the fish were on beds, but a lot of them were just cruising along the weeds, probably moving in and looking for places to bed.

There weren’t too many people on the lake so the landing wasn’t too bad. Went back last Saturday for awhile in the early evening. Managed to get in about an hour of fishing before the rain came. Pulled to short ‘eyes and a 3 lb. snake. Started to mark some spots we were going to hit with the jigs when the lightning rolled in. That’s when the landing turned into Chaos. There were actually people trying to put their boat in the lake as about 10 of us were trying to get out.

I always shudder when I see guys pull their waders on to load their boats. You know it’s gonna be a 10 – 15 minute ordeal when it should take a couple minutes.

Didn’t chase the sunnies that night. The mission was to nail a few decent ‘eyes.

heimdawg

We’ll be hitting Shields this weekend ( and maybe sometime in the early evening this week). Any suggestions on where to try for the sunnies? I was thinking of the shoreline off to the right (facing the lake) of the landing or the island. Let me know of any other ideas of where to try for them. I’ll report back on what I find.

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

There is a real nice hump to the left of the landing about 500 yards. Good Luck.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the reports guys. Keep em coming. We all learn from everyones reports. Great to see lake activity going strong. Thanks, Bill

heimdawg

We hit the lake this past Saturday. We got a great bite early afternoon on the far side of the lake (straight out from the landing) between docks and between the weeds and shoreline. I think we missed the main spawn because they seemed to be mostly active males. Eating size but not the big knot-heads. The fish were about 5 feet from shore. Also saw some bullheads on beds…won’t tell you what I wanted to do about that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.