Lake tetonka report

• billybob68
    Austin, MN

me and a buddy (livetofish/mn) fished tetonka today. Got a a late start due to the weather. Finally got out at about 2pm and fished till 6. Went out by the swimming beach area on the east side of the lake. Caught about 20 gills, 10 crappies, 2 perch and one walleye. Fished in about 17FOW and there was 12 inches of ice. We used marmooska jigs tipped with minnow heads and spikes. All in all pretty decent evening.

livetofishmn
    Mankato, Mn

That was fun bob, well have to hit the hard water again soon!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the report and pics guys. Sounds like fun. Keep em comin.
    Thanks, Bill

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I think “the Grump” is out on Tetonka with some guys from his fire department today helping search for the missing boy with his underwater camera. That is pretty sad.

Stay safe, nice fish.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I heard last night that a kid went through the ice with a snomobile??? Can’t find him???

So sad…..

big_fish_guy
    Hastings, MN

did not go through the ice, just hit a stretch of known open water and couldn’t stop. The ice is good for the most part on the lake… they just didn’t know the lake.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

so the kid went flying across open water in a sled at night?

VikeFan

I talked to a CO on Frances Lake yesterday afternoon–that is just a few miles down the road from Tetonka. I commented that I would not be driving trucks on 8″ or 9″ of ice like they were on Frances yesterday. He then told me about the drowning of the previous night. The CO said there was one spot on Tetonka (I have never been on that lake) that is known for having bad ice, and there was about a fifteen-foot strip of open water dividing the lake in half until Sunday. The strip froze over, but was no more than skim ice. The snowmobiler strayed away from the safe area and hit the skim ice late at night, and broke through. The CO indicated that unfamiliarity with the lake, and possibly alcohol, were factors in the accident.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I talked to my brother “the Grump” this evening, and he said that they didn’t turn up with anything today. He said that he probably drilled 1000 holes himself and put his camera down 1500. All they found so far is the snowmobile and his hat. It is a sad story. There is part of that lake near the bridge that never really freezes. It may glass over on the coldest days, but will then ice back up. The area was still open when the boy went in. I guess he was only 30 yards from making it across with the snowmobile.

I think he will be out probing again tomorrow. What a terrible way to go. Can’t imagine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.