Largies… Albert Lea Area – posted for Anchor Man

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Here’s a couple – three shots of some dandie largies. Anchor Man (Jason Howland) sent them to me to post. I’ll let him chime in to tell the story behind these fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

#2 – Albert Lea Lake can obviously kick out some quality fish!

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

nice fish.

nater3
    Webster City, IA

I have always wondered when driving over that lake on I-35 whether the fishing was any good or not.
    Nate

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Jason,
    Doesn’t look like a January thaw bass bite, maybe mid=Fall.
    We are waiting for a little fish history along with a fishing story to go with the great pics….
    Jack…

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

You’re right, not January… more like mid-October. Just thought I’d post some pics for all you bass anglers who can’t wait to get back on the water.
    These are both 5-plus pounders caught on Fountain Lake in Albert Lea (not Albert Lea Lake, which I-35 runs over.)
    I’ll see if I can round up the picture of my buddy Travis and I when we won a small club tournament there in Oct. with 5 fish weighing close to 19lbs, including one that weighed almost six.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Here’s that tournament photo from the brookside school landing at fountain lake. I believe it was Oct. 7?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Those two lakes have come along way since the ’80’s. Clean up and a few “friends of the lake” really turned the fishing (and smell) around!.

I used to hunt the NE corner of AL lake. Right in front of the I-35. Dang ducks would always flare when a semi came by at the wrong time.

Hey, didn’t Fountain freeze out last year?

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Actually, it was Albert Lea Lake that had the winterkill. Fountain Lake was saved thanks to several aerators in the lake. However, the DNR has aggressively stocked both lakes since the kill of 2003 and the walleye fishing has been fantastic on both. The bass seem to spawn well in Fountain and don’t need stocking. All the largies I catch there are always healthy and plump!

Qball

Nice fish,cant wait to hit the open water.Ice fishing has been pretty good to me lately.I’ve even caught some of those there bass lately.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I graduated from Albert Lea and the folks still live down there. The bass fishing on Fountain is a lot of fun, when the pleasure boats aren’t out. The walleye fishing was great around New Years this year.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

The walleye fishing was fantastic last week. Caught 15 of em in about two hours fishing open water, including one I guessed at 25 inches. Since the rain and cold temps hit, haven’t had a bite since.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Were you throwing a white jig and fathead by a certain bridge?

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Actually, you got the bridge part right, but I was using a special crankbait. Had a lot more luck than the guys next to me using minners and jigs.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Great to hear those lakes are coming along very nicely. Thanks for the pics and info. What is the go to technique for both bass and eyes in open water? Also you said you caught eyes in open water so does that mean the ice is off the lakes already?
    Thanks, Bill

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

Like I mentioned earlier, crankbaits were the ticket last week. The water is open on the channel between Fountain and Albert Lea lakes. The actual lakes are still frozen over. Usually the channel is iced over this time of year too, but its been a warm winter.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

How is the fishing lately in the channel?
    I may have to come down and give it a shot.
    Got that Spring/Open Water Fever really bad with this mild winter.

Big BASS from Fall of 03, McKnight Lake Chaska

PS: I am a ALHS Grad from 77.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome. Great to have you with us. Please feel free to share and post all you want.
    Thanks, Bill

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I read an earlier post about a Bass Tournament in Albert Lea and have read the Newspaper results the last couple years.

Does anyone know who runs this or whom I can contact about the dates and info. for this years Tournament?

Being an Albert Lea native I would love to come down and fish this Tournament with some friends.

I am the Tournament Director for the West Metro Bassmasters club and run 8 Club Tournaments each year. If anyone is interested in joining let me know.

sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

I’ll find that info for you and send you an email. The tourney generally runs in early October.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.