French Lake

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I took my father in law out on Saturday. We hit the water about 8:00 and enjoyed a beautiful morning. The fishing wasn’t too hot, we started out dragging jigs and minnows around the midlake humps and that produced one huge about 8 lb sheephead. After a couple of hours of that we decided to troll some #7 shad raps. I was concentrating on the 10-14 foot depth level. About 10:30 my father in law had the hit of his life and the fight was on. After about 10 minutes up from the depths came a 39 inch Muskie . The fish hit a firetiger color shad rap on the north side of the lake. I am not a Muskie fisherman and this is the first one I have ever seen in person. Man what a fish, and I don’t think my father in law has quit talking about it since. I was suprised how clean the water was for the end of July, I think the wind has kept it moving a little. I am starting to think it may be fun to try to catch one of those Muskies myself.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Midnight,
    Sounds like you did good Putting the FIL on fish is a good thing

dave

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Now this is what its all about. Midnight shared his experience fishing and we all benefit from it. We ALL learned more about the lake, what caught the fish, and we got to relive part of what turned out to be the biggest fish ever caught by his father-in-law. Its sorta like being there yourself when someone shares like this. THANK YOU for taking the time to share your special moments on the water. Also was shared the not so special moments before the muskie was caught. Fishing is fishing, its not always catching. But if we don’t give up, like shown here in this post by Midnight, look what could happen. Time on the water is great even if fish aren’t biting or jumping in the boat. We should cheerish those times we get to be on the water. Its so peacefull and relaxing and fun just being there. Too often the pressure of having to catch alot of fish takes the FUN and ENJOYMENT out of just being there. Theres more to fishing than just catching fish. Its the experience of being there that makes it great. Everyone please feel free to always share your ‘fishing/on the water experience” with all of us. THANKS.
    Thanks, Bill

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Amen Bill Time on the water is what I look forward to as well. By the way, that Muskie completely destroyed that #7 shap rap, the body of the shad rap was completely ripped apart and my father in law, stated “That’s going on my mantle.”

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Yep!!!

I have a true fondness for French Lake. Spent my summers there as a kid, fishing for crappies.

I remember well, when they introduced the muskies to the lake. Many, many people were furious at them. People were harponing them under there docks with pitchforks, blaming them for the demise of the crappies and walleyes. (of course, the dozens of pontoons with dozens of people everyday, pulling in massive stringers of crappies had nothing to do with the depletion, it was the muskies fault for eating everything in the lake!!!)

Today, it is a great sunnie/bass lake with AWESOME musky fishing. I have had days where we raised over 15 fish, for that little, tiny lake!!!! There is still very good crappies in the lake too, but you have to search them out.

The lake has changed alot over the past 25 years. back in the 70s and 80s, there was no milfoil in the lake. Today, they have a “harvester” cutting lanes and paths in the lake.

The only unfortunate thing today, is many, many people still harvest the muskies, and there are still a few lake shore owners that are still harponing the muskies under their docks (You know who you are and I know who you are!!!! Next time, the DNR is going to be at your door, because now the camcorder never leaves the boat!!!!)

Please practice catch-n-release, for the lake of this size, with the massive pressure received, cannot handle the harvesting.

Good luck and NICE CATCH!!!!!! I know more guys who have caught muskies while crappie and walleye fishing, than those who have caught muskies while muskie fishing!!!!

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

Well said, Gary!

I’m not a big time muskie guy, but I have had great success on French, whenever I’ve tried it. There aren’t too many muskie lakes where your chances of success are as good as they are on French. Even for a lazy guy like me who simply trolls large jointed perch rapalas around the weedlines. (Like I said, I’m not much of a muskie fisherman and I don’t have a lot of muskie baits.)

Treat these fish well when you catch them, get them back in the water fast, and this lake should continue to be a gem in southern Minnesota for a long time.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I am sure the first musky stockings were back in the 70’s or early 80’s and they stocked Shoepac strain fish from way up north, and it didn’t take to long to learn that this strain fish does not grow big or very fast. I have caught many Shoepac fish from Shoepac lake up north, they are alot of fun and very active and jump alot, but they are small. they stopped stocking these fish in French, and went to the Leech lake and/or Wisc strain fish, which are better for everyone. they DO grow big and fast. may have to take a trip down there this fall.
    Jack…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.