mille lacs virgin, help?

• fishinhare
    SE MN

My buddy and I are heading to Mille Lacs for a few days of fishin. I have never fished the lake in the summer other then launch fishing once. Is anyone open to suggestions on where to start. I have fished plenty, so i have some ideas but I am very intimidated with so much water to cover.

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

If I was going there I would head straight to the mud flats and pull blades on 3 ways and bottom bouncers. We have done really well with them this year. I would also check out the main basin for trolling schools of roaming fish if you are into that. Good Luck
    Jordan

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

You really can’t go wrong with bobbers either, find some mud and have fun!

fishinhare
    SE MN

thanks, we have no kids and no wives with so it is going to be a relaxing/ working 3 days. I am just hoping to focus on putting fish in the live well. perch fry saturday night sounds great too.

fishinhare
    SE MN

Looking at all the mud flats on this map and wondering if there are any i should cross off the map to not bother with. I am sure it is like anything else, turn and burn… if they are not biting keep moving.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

pm sent, red flashing envelope up top.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

look in the fishing reports…brad j. usually has some awesome reports on there with almost more detail than he should be giving. that is if he is telling the truth?? haha otherwise if it were me i would bobber fish rocks at night and troll flats diring the day. good luck and don’t forget to report back on how the trip was.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Don’t be afraid to try rigging rocks too and sometimes when no one else is around can payoff as well, use your electronics and most of all have fun and be safe

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors Jeff!!!

About time you signed up as a member.

fishinhare
    SE MN

STEVE,
    YOU WERE RIGHT, I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS A LONG TIME AGO. YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN GREAT, AND I APPRECIATE EVERYTHING. WE WILL DEFINATELY TAKE PHOTOS AND REPORT BACK. IT ISN’T TILL NEXT FRIDAY BUT I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYTHING.

jimjohnson73

First thing I would do is get a decent lake map –

The next thing I would recommend is that since Mille Lacs is huge and you’re new to the lake, pick a presentation technique that will allow you to cover water (don’t rig and jig). I would troll deep-diving cranks around the various humps and flats on the lake.

Also, talk to guys in the bait shops…they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Jim

fishinhare
    SE MN

just bought a hot spot map and have another older map. thanks for the advice, i have been reading a lot of posts on here from this year and years past for the last few nights and talked to a guy from gander mountain in rochester tonight who had some good insight on the south end rock piles for me tonight. he gave me a few good spots that they worked and had luck recently. this has really been a great sight for info, and look forward to talkin with everyone more about other spots and sharin our good luck too.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

we were fishing the south side rocks last weekend, marked a ton of fish during the day, not much walleye biting but the perch and red eye roughy were. When we bobbered up in the deeper rock, (18 ft plus) we had bobbers down all the time, perch and 13-14 inch walleye were biting but some of the perch were nice ones. If I did it again, I’d have some artificial crawdads, the perch had them in their bellies.

fishinhare
    SE MN

thanks chomps we are looking forward to watching the bobbers drop friday afternoon and night on the southend and then trying the flats all day saturday. from the looks of this map we aren’t going to even make a dent, but then we will have the “excuse” of going back to figure out the rest later.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

Fish the wind, the harder it blows, the shallower you fish(bobber fishing). If it’s flat calm, fish the mud or deep gravel with blades or lead. It’s a big lake but if you just pick a 64th of the windward side and stick to the area, you’ll do fine. I wish I would follow my own advice more….I’d save a lot of gas….and catch more fish….I’ll be up on Thursday next week with a boat full of Iowegans, shoot me a PM with your contact info and I’ll let you know what I figure out.

Adam L

fishinhare
    SE MN

“shoot me a PM with your contact info and I’ll let you know what I figure out”

I’ll get it to you, good luck can’t wait to hear the report. Good luck! Fishin with the southerners huh, they must be comin up for the fresh air.

fishinhare
    SE MN

We had a great weekend, could have been better fishin, but we learned a ton. We stayed at Fisherman’s Warf and they did a great job. Very nice facility and the regular’s with the permanent spots were very helpfull wiht their own hotspots. Treavor if you read this shoot me a PM, I would like to talk about the open spot on the marina. Can’t wait to go back!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.