Smallmouth?

• limitfish
    Le Claire, Ia

Any report on the smallie fishing? I’m going up to see my dad for his Birthday on the 4th of July and plan on fishing a couple of days on the pond. I have had good sucess in the past but have always fished it in late August This is the earliest I’ve gone so looking for a little insight. thanks, Tom.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

We spent a couple of hours at it on Monday and turned up 5 or 6 fish.

Conditions were not optimum (windy), but we were fishing the first rock flats on the outer edges of the bays before the main lake reefs. Tubes and twister tails fished fairly aggressivly took all fish. It was too windy to pitch Senkos.

Red Door 1
    North Shore Mille Lacs in Wealthwood

Quote:

Any report on the smallie fishing? I’m going up to see my dad for his Birthday on the 4th of July and plan on fishing a couple of days on the pond. I have had good sucess in the past but have always fished it in late August This is the earliest I’ve gone so looking for a little insight. thanks, Tom.

Any of the north shore rocks have been going good for the smallies….especially around Knox Point rock humps and ridges. 3 to 10ft. of water. Most of the catches we hear about are on live bait(crawlers) under bobbers with small jigheads or trolling small crankbaits. They are there, wind or no wind.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

There’s not much I’d rather do than chase sumo smallies on Mille Lacs. You have me envious!

The smallies tend to turn on around the first or second week of July. Find the rocks and you’ll find the smallies.

Here is a previous report of mine that might be of some help to you. Good luck and have fun!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

As the Red Door mentions, some of the best smallmouth fishing I’ve had has been on the North shore rocks around Knox Point anywhere from 4-10 FOW. Using the wind for a slow drift and casting shad raps or swim baits put several 21+ smallies in the boat last year with plenty of northerns and walleyes mixed in. This is usually the way I go if I have friends who want to catch a lot of fish, but who aren’t very experienced at finesse fishing.

limitfish
    Le Claire, Ia

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!! looks like the pattern doesn’t change much from how I catch them in late August.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.