weather

• lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

With the winds forecasted for this weekend, what type of waves can you figure on the north shore by red door or the NE side of the lake in 20 mph winds? I have never been on this side of the lake to often and wonder if i can still get out in my 17 foot boat?
    thanks

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Use your best judgement. It really depends on your experience on a big body of water and large waves. It would be a toss up for me til I got there.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

she’ll definitly be rolling out there but in that area I wouldnt’ think anything larger then 3′ or so down in the SE corner you might get bigger…good luck and be safe

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

With the winds forecasted for this weekend, what type of waves can you figure on the north shore by red door or the NE side of the lake in 20 mph winds? I have never been on this side of the lake to often and wonder if i can still get out in my 17 foot boat?
    thanks

If they’re forecasting 20… plan for 25+ MPH gusts. I’ve spent many a night fishing that general area. A SW wind is a bear, obviously. At 20 MPH you’ll be able to fish if you’re extra cautious and accept the fact that any moving around you do will be “nose up and plow” at slow speeds. If you’re going to be fishing rigs you better bring the drift socks.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I would anchor and cork.

Red Door 1
    North Shore Mille Lacs in Wealthwood

Jonny,

The NW winds, although forecast to be strong, will be coming from off shore at about a 45 degree angle-from NW to SE. That means the lake should not have big waves in the Red Door area. The further east you go, the more and bigger waves you will have. More north to the wind and the lake will have 6 inch ripples and more west to it the lake will have 1′ to 2′ waves moving parallel to shore. So it should be fine with your 17ft.’er.

Your drift will need to be controlled to slow down or as someone suggests, you can anchor and slip-bobber fish. Without good boat control, that could be the best way to fish slowly in those “20 to 30” mile per hour forecasted winds.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Latest forcast:

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 53. Wind chill values as low as 25 early. Breezy, with a northwest wind between 16 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Saturday Night: Patchy frost after 4am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 32. Northwest wind between 14 and 17 mph becoming calm. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 61. Calm wind becoming south southwest between 8 and 11 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42.

When they say 16 – 22, we usually just add the 2 numbers together!

You will have plenty of company on the north side of the lake this weekend. Me included.

-J.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Johnny your post was exactly what I was thinking driving into work this morning. I am planning on heading up that direction Sat. morning. Seriously, what is the deal with the first 2 saturday’s of the season being cold and windy . This will be my first time North end drifting, is 18+ feet the target? Good luck to all, I will be in a white Mr. Pike.

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

I’m assuming Red door has a ramp I can pay to use?
    How far of a drive out is it by boat to get to some of the fishing area? I’m just trying to decide if I want to go or not. I don’t feel like banging my boat over 3 footers if I have to travel 2 miles on the water. Or are some of the fishing spots relitively close to shore (IE can stay out of the wind and only have 1-2 foot waves)
    From those of you with expereience, what do you forecast the wave size to be in some of the general fishing areas around red door with that 25 mph wond?

Red Door 1
    North Shore Mille Lacs in Wealthwood

Jonny,

Yes we have a good ramp and sheltered harbor for easy lake access. The Knox Point area(1/4 mile west of The Red Door) is a very popular area to fish. You surely won’t need to venture too far to find walleyes. The further west you go, based on the wind forecast, the lake will flatten out and allow plenty of good fishing options along the sand breaks west of the point. Surely within a mile or less of The Red Door there will be as good as any options for both fishing success and easy traveling. Dress warm!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

The Public ramp at Wealthwood is still a bit shallow, and you may have some problems. I’d stick to the Red Door where you have the option of shallow rocks, sand breaks- both deep and shallow, I’d try the deeper break for dragg’n rigs, then shallow rocks with a cork at evening. Use a wind sock or two for drifting, the slower the better, also use a long snell 8 footer or longer.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Chomps hit ‘er on the head. You can venture west and fish the weed beds and rock piles, and to the east you can fish the sand of Carlsona. Either direction is holding some nice fish right now. The Door has a protected harbor which is a big plus. Depending on your boat size, Wealthwood may not be an option. If you have a bunk forget it!
    Good luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.