The walleye chew is on big time!

• Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Wow, is all I can say. The difference a week can make. I was up last weekend with a buddy and we found that for the most part the fish still were not in the shallows. Before I explain this experience, if you don’t read any more of this post, JUST UNDERSTAND – IT’S ON! THE WAIT IS OVER.

I headed up Friday night with my wife, dad, and brother in law. We hit the water around 7:00 and literally trolled until 8:30 before we picked up our first fish. At this point in time I had on a firetiger bent lip shad, pops had a silver and black bent lip shad, and my brother in law had on a firetiger bent lip shad (All number 9’s.) We were trolling a great transition area – Rock to sand. The key was keeping the speed around 2.3 – 2.6. So we were rolling around throwing the bull [censored] back and forth and Wham! The first real fall bite of the year! A fat 26 incher just about yanked the rod out of my hand. I had the hot ticket with the firetiger and landed the next two fish after that one. After the guys switched over to F- tiger we had a great run landing a 21, 23, 2-24’s, 25, 28, and a bonus 40 inch muskie. (The 28 went a silver and black bent lip shad) My dad caught the muskie and that was a ride and a half. I fish walleyes exclusively, so needless to say I don’t have a big net for a fish of that size. That fish hit the shad so hard the back half of the plug was ripped off. Dad – you owe me a new plug! We called it a night around midnight, knowing we had another night of fishing to come. The night really exceeded our expectations, considering the water temp. was still 60 degrees. The only bummer on the night was that on the way in I hit a f*&^%$# rock and chipped my skeg! Not to mention I had to put on my spare prop! Be careful – the lake is super super low!

Saturday, we had great breakfast at the greasy spoon, watched college football, and had a few beers. God fall is great! After a good meal that evening we hit the water once again. We returned back to the transitional area that runs from rock to sand. Conditions could not have been more perfect. The wind was pushing HARD into the shoreline we were fishing. I believe this really helped our cause by holding the fish along that shoreline. The moon was bright and high in the sky, with little to no clouds. You could not really ask for better weather, as the temp. was just about warm. I won’t go into great detail on our fish but the bite started around the same time 9 pm. Once they started we never really had a lull. We caught fish in 6 to 8 feet of water from 9 until 2 am at a steady rate. The key was doing S curves right on the break line! We would actually just catch the deeper water on our S curve and roll back through the top (6-8fow) or what we referred to as the strike zone! We ended the night with 16 walleyes that we counted between 20 and 26.5 inches. Most on the upper end of that scale. Plus 2 large bonus fish – both being good size pike. Those are the fish we could remember but I know we were 20 plus but you honestly lose count with all the fish, stories, and fun going on.

Bottom line – get your up there because they are moving in!

Out
    Wab

I have pictures if someone can post them for me – not smart enough.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Hey Wabasha.. I can do the picture thing if need be….

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Maybe I missed it on my speed read, but where were you fishing?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Great report Wab.. I’m jealous.

You mentioned speeds of 2.3-2.6 and S curves. I assume that was boat speed GPS and not lure speed? I have been studying boat speed v.s lure speed and lake effect currents since July of this year. This fall I will be testing the Sub Troll 500 by Moore Electronics. Its a downrigger device that measures lure speed in analog which is 100% more accurate than digital boat speed(GPS). My findings could be a big breakthrough in lake trolling. More to come.

Thanks again for the report..

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Keep us posted on that – sounds very interesting!

Yeah – boat speed I was just referring to what I had the trollmaster set at.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like a good time. We fish a few hours saturday night on the SE side of the lake. Only managed a couple of fish. Both where very fat footballs and both hit a clown husky jerk. This was the start to my fall trolling trips and it sure was nice to be out there after dark again.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

Sounds like a blast. I had to work this weekend and hope to make it up this week and I will be up next weekend. hope the water cools down. Hope you had as much fun as it sounded. Thanks for the report.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Here you go, sorry it took a bit….

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Great fish Wab! I too was on the lake last night, my first ever Night trolling experience and we ended the night with four fish. I did alot of experimenting and had no real confidence in any technique or spots. Once I put a game plan together, from 11-1 we caught all of our fish. I also found them in 6-8, also right around 2.75 GPS, and like Mike W, all on clown HJ’s on SE side of the lake. I’ll try to get a pic up tomorrow of my first ever night trolling ‘eye.

Eric

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Yeah, that’s a real nice Pike!

EyeSlayer1
    MG

I find it ironic that when a guy is fishing for walleyes he catches a muskie, but last weekend while I was muskie fishing I couldn’t keep the walleyes off my line. I’ve caught just about everything while muskie fishing, but this was by far the craziest experience I’ve had with walleyes hitting muskie lures. And, it happened in the most unlikely of areas and time of day.

So, what can we glean from my muskie fishing experience last weekend and the report that started this thread? They’re hungry, VERY hungry.

howler
    bagley wi.

nice

TheHuntZone
    Des Moines, IA

I can hardly wait. Heading up Sun for a few days of night fishing and hopefully can manage a few perch during the day hrs. Anyone have a general area that would be good starting point for the night eyes?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.