Big Perch?!?!

• lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

Heard reports of a lot of perch being caught on the south bays. I’m thinking of taking my old man out for some action. I’m new to the area, and have only fished Mille Lacs a handful of times around the 8-mile area. It will be my first time out to the South side, and was wondering where is a safe place to launch the boat?
    By the sounds of it, the perch are almost jumping in the boat. My question is, are 95% of the fish you catch dinkers, or are there plenty of big perch being caught along with the small ones? I don’t know how much I don’t know how much I feel like catching 100 dinkers in a day.
    If some one could fill me in if a majority of the perch are on the smaller size, because if this is the case, I’ll go back to trolling suspended walleyes over on the west side of the lake. I was out 2 weeks ago around Terry’s and have 9 hits, and six fish landed in the boat in 4 hours of trolling. Nothing fast and crazy, but would be better the a bunch of dink perch.
    My old man hasn’t got into perch in a real long time and would be great to get him into some.
    Thanks for any insight.

birddog
    Mn.

Plenty of big perch to be had, just have to find the schools of bigger fish, although there are plenty of bigger fish mixed in with small ones, just have to scratch them out. If your not catching the size you’re looking for move…move…move till you find what you want. Generally doesn’t mean a long distance move either, other side of the rock pile or next rock pile over. Don’t disregard the deeper cuts between the rock piles, those deeper cuts can produce big. Just stay on the move till your on them. Trolling Shallow #5’s in a variety of colors over 3-10′ rock will produce bigger jumbo’s and often times outproduces slipping or jigging.

Good Luck

BIRDDOG

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

Sounds like fun then..I love playing bumper boat out on the water. Looks like I’ll be going after perch this weekend with my Dad. With all this talk about low water, I’m a little nerveous putting my boat in on the South side. like I mentioned, I’ve never fished the south side of the lake. What’s the safest place to put in? Is Fisherman’s Wharf the best place, or what would others suggest. Any idea on the cost to launch the boat out of these places?
    Thanks

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

If your fishing the south Macs twin bay or Hunter winfields are your best bets.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

JonnyD,

I am sure others will chime in here too… But WELCOME TO IDA!!!

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Dont think you’ll be playing bumper boats. Been catching jumbos for over a month now. Bite has been super hot on shallow rock on east side of lake. Crawler halfs on slip floats has been the ticket verses leeches, but starting last time out, crappie minnows seem to bag larger fish more consistant. Water down to 57, a 12 degree drop in one week. Been catching limits in about hour and a half, keeping only 10 in. or larger. Walleyebry

lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

Would any one be willing to give some tips on where to start? There sure is a lot of water out there, and a lot of rock piles
    I’m usually not one to ask for peoples spots, but since I’ve never been in this area. It’s hard to know where to even start. Not looking for the GPS spot, but maybe try around this point or that rock pile…Any direction would be great.
    Thanks guys for the help.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Isle bay you cant miss the boats.Also heard around Macs twin bay and you can try doe island and shaws reef.Also pulling small shad raps on big point can be good.Perch usually bite better early on clear days.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’ve done Isle Bay a few times, not this year yet though. When things slow down or you are not finding any schools, go chase gulls. The perch will round up baitfish and slice through the swarm gourging themselves and leaving stuned or dead minnows which the gulls focus on. Like one guy said, there will be plenty of boats, and there are rocks all over once you get out of Isle Bay, but I’m sure the shallow rock buoys are or soon will be off the lake, so take it slow.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

Fishing the 3-7 fow – Rocks, last year I used a small split shot with a green Gammy and a giant fathead, like texas rigging, let them eat it a little bit, then slam the hook – alot of fun with ultra-light rods. Try Big Point.

martyq

anybody heard of any reports of perch around agatebay area,or the north east side of the lake,as im going up this weekend and looking for those big orange footballs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.