What line for rigging

• thundereye

What line is everyone using on the spool for slip sinker rigging and what line are you using for the snell? Same line? Different line? reasons?
    Thanks

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

2/10 PowerPro on the spool. 6# XT in Green on the snells, or 8lb Vanish. Some guys have been having trouble with the Vanish breaking, I have not up to this point, but have been mixing it up just in case I run into a bad spot on the spool of Vanish.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

10/30 Stealth Spiderwire for main line. 10 pound Silver Thread for leader line when I run a plain hook. 10 # Seaguar florocarbon when I run a Phelps floater.

Sartell Eye Guy
    Sartell, MN

8/3 Fireline crystal on the spool, 6# or 4# Trilene xl on the leader/snell, #6 or #8 hooks(leaches).

The Fireline (or any superline) is soooo sensitive, I joke that you can almost feel a walleye looking at the leach. I don’t use it as snell material though, just not confident that it can’t be seen down there. You’ll get a bunch of responses, just go with what you have confidence in, there is no right or wrong answer. Adam

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I run 6 or 8 pound XT for my main line and 6 pound XT/XL mono leader for rigging. I haven’t found a reason to go with anything heavier. I tried 2/10 PowerPro for rigging last season and I didn’t like it. I put it on my spinner rig set up for this season and I don’t like it for that either. I will probably try something new again next year.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I run 8lb Fireline on my spool and either 6lb Fireline or 8lb Seagur Flurocarbon on my snells, depending on lake. Mille Lacs I always use Fluro.

The sensitvity I get from Firleine is awesome, especailly teamed up with my St. Croix Tourny Rod. My hook sets are more of a fast sweeping motion.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Wow!
    I’m a 6lb xl for both line and snell. Sometimes 6lb xt for the snell.

Never lost a fish yet with that light line due to breaking. Teamed up with a simple Premier St. Croix 7’ml, I get more than enough sensitivity.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I’ve done well on 20/6 PowerPro with 6 lbs. Vanish. The 2 lines are attached together with a good quality bearing swivel.

I’d use a smaller diameter PP, but on occasion I do chase grass carp.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I’m a 6lb xl for both line and snell.

Took a while, but yes! Another old schooler. Thank you Gary, Thanks!

6# XL spool to hook. I have been playing with the Cabela’s store brand mono this year. Pretty happy so far. Price is right. $6.99 for 2500 yards. Actually got a free spool early this season with that purchase!

-J.

corey-studer

The last 6-7 years I have been using 6# P-Line Floroclear for both with finicking biters going to 4#. For the really tough to light bites, I use either 10/2 Power Pro or 6/1 Spiderwire stealth with 6# P-line.

ole1855

20/6 PowerPro, Pline flourocarbon 6# leader.

Bill Marty
    Bloomington,MN

I use the same p-line fl leader line. But if I am tying the snells for the boat they get the regular mono . At a dollar a snell for the line alone, they can get there own.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.