Netting has started

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Got the Outdoor News today. Netting started last Sunday on the westside. 3,719 pounds have been taken so far. Most of the fish have been 16 inchers..

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

~ 1800 fish… I will stop there.

liar
    Lakeville

Is there any type of slot limit for the netting???
    How many pounds can be netted???
    Dan

jldii

Walleyes…100,000lbs. No slot. Any and all netted are killed.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

thats so sad!

liar
    Lakeville

thats amazing!!!!!!!!!! and makes me sick. 50 tons of fish. I better stop now or I’ll be banned from posting for life.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

article

Here’s an interesting read. At least one guys believes in old traditions and keeps using his canoe

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

“If an incidental muskie is caught the band member applies for a special permit to retain the fish for traditions, such as serving it to band elders” WTF??????!!!!!!!

Funny didn’t think Mille Lacs had muskies naturally? What ever!!! Tradition my arm! Its all about the $$$$$

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

One other thing…..I watched a boat this morning picking their nets and they slid a Northern Pike out of the net back in the lake. Just wonder how long the fish lived? To bad they don’t have a mortallity rate like us white folks? We have weight addded to our catch each year to cover this loss. Just wonder how many fish are in their nets and get freed up only to die later on.

oh one other thing…..counted the walleye in their first net they pulled this am…60 walleye, a bunch of perch and smallmouth bass also!

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Bob,

Putting that northern back is against their permit rules. They have been warned NOT to do so! The reason they do this is so they do not reach the northern quota which is quite small and therefore would they have to quit ALL netting if only ONE species quota is reached.

I will pass this onto my brother and have him bird dog this……again!

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Steve,
    What about the “incidental” muskies?
    Thanks,
    JDP

jldii

I asked about that at one of the “Citizens Input Group” meetings and was told that there are only a few instances where muskies have been caught in the indians nets. Apparently the nets are long gone before muskies move up into the shallows to spawn. Muskies spawn in warmer water conditions than either northerns or walleyes.

Bob Carlson

They kept me awake last night at 2am……banging their plastic bins while picking nets? I did’nt know that they could pick nets that late and have them varified for weight back at the landing! I watched this boat set the nets at around 6pm last evening, how do I know…well I watched them with my field glasses. They have a new john boat, bimmy cover, with a 100 Merc. jet motor….how do you like that for a netting rig!!! they picked them at 2pm and now I look out there at 6am and they are set same nets same place…they must be still cleaning fish….just think 60-80+ walleyes per net times…6 nets per boat. I think I counted 18 nets off my point last night. Do the math guys….thats over 1,000 walleyes just from one area on our point in only one night of netting!!!

what heck can they be doing with all the walleye………..I know $$$

Bob Carlson

I just saw the same boat come back and pull their nets yet again….this time I watched them drive over to the old Lakeside boat ramp ( privite property )and pull their boat out?? I’m sure they were in a hurry to run back down to verify their fish for this morning!!

Sorry….I’m just a little bent out of shape on this deal!

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Have you let the DNR know about this?

Bob Carlson

yep…called them this morning!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Just to think Bobber, our Country is built on Equal Rights and the Treaty calls out for the Indian Community to adapt to our culture.

Man does this stuff get me steamed.

Not only that, everyone else gets to hammer that point (equal rights) home and get away with anything and everything and we can not even celebrate Christmas or say God in our schools or even in the American Pledge of Allegiance. It seems like the “True American” are the ones being discriminated against day in day out.

Politicians and Lawyers

Bob Carlson

Well said, Lip!

amen..

Manitouchuck
    Minnetonka & Mille Lacs

Fishing has been down around Picard the last few years, compared to what it used to be, because of all the tribal netting. My cabin is a half-mile or so south of Bobbers.

A few years ago in the fall, I was sleeping on my couch around midnight and all of a sudden it was like the mothership had landed in front of the cabin. The natives had a rig with big lights, a net like a snowplow in front of the boat, with 2 guys on narrow wooden platform extensions on both front sides of the boat. They then scooped eyes out of the plow net with long handled nets and thru them back into the boat. They picked up a couple eaters not 5-feet in front of my dock.

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

Whose up for a good old fashioned game of Cowboys and Indians???

EyeSlayer1
    MG

Quote:

Not sure what you are condoning but Bobber is taking the right approach. If you feel they are not abiding by the laws or regs, you should call the DNR…no more.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

wow just one of them issues it is best I just bite my lip and let the DNR handle cause this is obviously happening more than expected!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I think what he means is go out and set up some nets. Fill the boat up with eyes and load up at the landing…… Of course be the “White Guy – AKA Cowboy” who gets arrested while the “Indian” goes on about his buisiness. Would make for great Channel 9 Fox News reporting.

Only if I had the time and money….

-J.

steve-fellegy

Good concept Jon! Get arrested and…

Well, I’ve tried that for several years! I have fished, openly, caught walleyes and had myself turned in by phone to the Brainerd enforcement office.

THEY WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO BE ARRESTED!

Someone has sent orders to NOT litigate this. I have tried to stand in a U.S. court room,….on U.S. soil,……..and have them tell me and treat me based on my skin color and ethnic origin…that I have different rights than others!

Dare them? It has NOT worked yet!

As a matter a fact…I have a copy(sneaked to me by a DNR secretary a few years ago)of a fax sent to the DNR enforcement people to NOT arrest any Indians while netting for violating Mn. boating laws such as lights and life jacket regs. (even though Mn. law requires them to abide ….no matter what!)

We also called the Aitkin County Sherrif to report lights being shined in our house for hours on end while they speared all night. Sheriff said…”we will not deal with it”. “anyone else…we would come out”……

People…the ONLY way you can change this is in the voting booth! Go figure…(I will not get too political here. Even though it IS a relavant political subject to fishing on Mille Lacs.) End the Sovereignty and it ALL goes away.

steve-fellegy

Just one of many (if asked) FYI’s….

YOU/US are paying for the nets used AND all the expense to the WHOLE operation. (note “U.S. Governement” on the truck license plates at the ramps)

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

Quote:

Eye Slayer- I was just attempting to make a little humor of it? The discussion rages on every year at my cabin, more so when the bite gets tough. It always reminds me of when I was kid chasing around with home made bows and cap guns.

This discussion does always make me upset. The urine poor reality of it is we are stuck. I do not see any political party in this day and age saying enough is enough, I didnt steal your land nor did my grandpa’s grandpa. Especially, in liberal Minnesota.

EyeSlayer1
    MG

MN Musky,

Sorry if I read into your statement incorrectly. Yes, it is a topic that is discussed here over and over again. Unfortunately, as Steve pointed out, there isn’t much we can do. It will take more than just voting as the Supreme Court has ruled on the issue already. There’s no guarantee the SC would rule any differently if it made it to that court again. And there’s no guarantee the SC would even grant certiorari. Now if there is another issue related to the treaty, but wholly different, it may be a different story, who knows.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

It will take more than just voting as the Supreme Court has ruled on the issue already.

It’s my understanding (And chime in here Mr Fellegy if I got it wrong) The court ruled on one issue. Does the 1837 treaty exist at the pleasure of the President? Yes. Has a President revoked the treaty? No.

That’s all the Supreme Court ruled on.

President Bush (or any sitting President) could make the 1837 treaty disappear with one swipe of the pen.

-J.

EyeSlayer1
    MG

Quote:

Quote:

It will take more than just voting as the Supreme Court has ruled on the issue already.

It’s my understanding (And chime in here Mr Fellegy if I got it wrong) The court ruled on one issue. Does the 1837 treaty exist at the pleasure of the President? Yes. Has a President revoked the treaty? No.

That’s all the Supreme Court ruled on.

President Bush (or any sitting President) could make the 1837 treaty disappear with one swipe of the pen.

-J.

I believe they did only rule on the one issue. See my last sentence.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.