Crankin the Flats

• has
    Hudson, WI

Its that time of year again, when the walleyes head for the flats and start to spread out. And for most of us anglers, it’s time to troll. I typically like to run leadcore with Shadraps of various sizes and colors, with #7 Perch being my favorite choice. But I also bring a couple rods rigged with Superlines for Flat Linning, and some Mono rods for snap weighting.
    The question is: What is your favorite way to pull cranks on Mille Lacs?
    Happy Crankin,
    Erik Haslund

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

The question is: What is your favorite way to pull cranks on Mille Lacs?

Typically, I’m flat-lineing or using snaps. I do plan to run leadcore this year. The “Deep Trolling Cranks” pattern will be the only pattern I plan to work the next few weeks.

Jon J.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Has,

The crank bite out on the flats have been going really good since opener with only a couple of slower days mixed. Last weekend through the Hunters point tournament, we boated over 20 walleyes each day including (4) 27.5″ fish.

I love this time of year out there as the bite continues to get better and better out there pulling plugs. I have had the opportunity to spend just about every day on the big pond over the last 28 days and I cannot even begin to fathom how many walleyes over 25 inches that have come to the boat from pulling cranks. Many anglers think that once June arrives, fish move to the flats….in retrospect, fish are on the flats all year long and the surveys indicate that a good number of walleyes spawn out on the mud flats every year. I know I was surprised to hear this but it makes perfect sense to me if a guy thinks about it. Just food for thought come next year when the bobber or rigging bite is les than par, do not over look pulling crank out by the mud flats!! Leadcore does some amazing things to crankbaits out there. I always keep my lead in the boat when I am up there. Just when you think that the fish are not on the chew, I am always surpeised that leadcore manages to put put walleyes in the boat!

Good fishing!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Cranking is one of my favorite ways to fish Mille Lacs. Generally I pull boards in the basin and like the three-way rig for working the edges and the spot on the spot areas.

Eyecrosser
    Mounds View, Minnesota

I have a couple of questions about trolling cranks around the mud. Do you guys keep your plugs around the same depth as the top of the flats, or do you try to get as close to the bottom as you can get in the main basin areas? If a person has 10/4 fireline, about how much line should they have out using a standard deep diver? Thanks a lot for your time.

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

How deep to run your baits often depends on how deep the fish are. Watch your electronics carefully to get an idea of where the bait and fish are in the water column. Many times you’ll see a congregation of activity between 17′ and 22′ down. You’ll also see another near the bottom.
    I try to target these two zones (bring a freind so you can run two lines), and be as specific as I can with my depth. Depending on the day you may get fish in both zones, or only one of them. If only one is hot, check to see if your running a similar bait at both depths. If not, try it. If you are and only one is going, try something different at the other depth. For example, let’s say I’m pulling perch colored baits and getting bit on the bottom hugger, but not the high bait. Could be I need a bait that will mimic the prey that is up higher, say a tullibee/cisco color combo. Might work, might not, but it’s worth a try.
    As to the depth issue I’d encourage you to get a trollers bible. There are different ones available that will tell you exactly how deep your bait will run. There are some deep divers that can hug 32′ of water. Others may only get down 20′.

Good luck and maybe we’ll see you on the water this weekend.

vikes40for60
    Minneapolis

Derek-

Why boards in the basin area? I always felt that the use of boards was used to get the lines away form the boat and not to spook fish. Are there other reasons you try this method?

Secondly. When using boards are you long lining or using leadcore?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Boards alllow you to cover more water in the basin areas. Fish that are in the basin areas can be hard to find and may not always be grouped, this is the case with the larger fish. The boards allow you to fish a larger area when the lines are spread out. I use Fusion superline. Whatever length I need goes from the board to the bait to target the depth I need.

vikes40for60
    Minneapolis

Thanks Derek. Are you using your Vantage for troliing or you big motor? Either way what is the best speed?

It will be tough for me to get pops to use a board. Heck its hard enough to get him to long line with deep runners. He is such a live bait leech guy.

Too bad we cant connect for that launch. We still have it reserved if you are able to squeeze it in. See ya on the water.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use the Vantage with the wind usually 1.5-2.0 MPH. Soon as pops gets a 28+ on a board, he’ll be hooked.. Yes the launch would have been fun. I let ya know if I can get out of work.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Derek’s comment is right on the head with using boards out on the flats area. Sometimes I like to target fish high in the water column and by running the boards out away from the boat, you prevent spooking any fish this way. Using leadcore on the boards has been a very successful approach out there this year already. ITs kind of hard to describe but leadcore has a way of presenting a lure that fireline or mono cannot duplicate. I am not saying that lead is the only answer, but at times when the bite seems to be a bit off. You can usually count on leadcore pulling a few fish. We have seen it time and time again that leadcore ran right along side of fireline or mono at same exact depths and leadcore out produced 5:1 is several situations for us. I am a fireline puller by heart, but I never count out lead and I always pull it sometime throughout the day to keep me honest.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.