Musky Anyone?

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

As any of you die hard Musky guys already know, Saturday is the opener. Saturday will be my first attempt at actually targeting these beasts. I have caught a bunch fishing for Eyes, but never went out “Looking for Trouble”!!

Over the winter I went out and purchased a St Croix Musky Rod, Abu Garcia 6500, spooled up with 50 lb Tuff line. (As recommeneded by Steve Cady) I have also purchased a meager selection of Spinner Baits, a few Bucktails, a couple of Suicks, and a couple of Musky size cranks.

Any pointers as to where I should start or which of my meager selection of baits to start with? I figure I’ll be in Sunset bay, Macs Twin Bays and Isle Bay. I plan to start out tossing the Bucktails…. Am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any pointers for this Rookie Musky Hunter.

Jon J.

lakeskipper
    Anoka, MN

Jon J.
    Looks like you have a pretty good game plan already established. I wouldn’t overlook the weeds in Walhkon, Cove, or Vineland if you plan on staying to the south. Every one of the weedy bays will see fair amount of pressure this weekend, but stay in the weeds and the fish should be there. The bucktails are a good place to start, although don’t be afraid to chuck some wood, or the large spinner baits. Did pretty well last year on the Monday after opener pitching glider baits over the weeds.
    Good luck and have fun, and remember the thrill of the hunt will provide just as much excitment as the catch sometimes.
    Stick em’ hard,
    Lakeskipper

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

First Smallies, and now THIS? I am probably a couple years behind you. Muskies continue to lurk just off my radar screen. I had the first Muskie in my boat last year and it gave me an idea of why the Muskie guys do what they do. It was a lot of fun. Good luck and let us know how you do.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Jon,
    the fish will tend to be shallow and look for new weeds or any weeds at all. I’ve caught fish from surprisingly small fingers of weeds.
    Bucktails are a great choice. Make sure your hooks are razor sharp. Take your polarized glasses and ALWAYS figure eight when your lure gets back to the boat. Welcome to my nightmare. Musky Fever!
    When you catch your first one on a figure 8 boatside all other fish sort of pale by comparison. IMHO
    Oh and see if you can pick up a smaller Bulldawg. Plastic lure with a squiggly tail. walleye pattern would be good.
    cut the top hook off and leave the bottom treble. Good bait.
    also make sure you have a sturdy set of wire cutters. Easiest way to let them go. Treble hooks are easy to replace and it will be less stressful on the fish.
    O.K. I’ll shut up now. Can’t help it. Love those fish

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Jon J:

See if any of those Mille Lacs buddies will help you dial in the spawning bays. This might give you an early advantage over just any old bay. If they seem to have left the spawning bay work the points around it. They should be shallow, the rest of the guys are right on with the weeds. But don’t be afraid of the wood or the rocks if they are close to any of these spawning areas and/or the weeds. The tried and true will cast to those beasts, but if you get tired (muskie men never get tired) don’t be afraid if you have the equipment to try some trolling.

Good luck and catch a big toothy critter!!!

Mark

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Jon J.
    I would try the weed line right out front of the Wharf. It runs from Breakers to the SE corner of Big Point……you know! I see alot of guys casting along there hunting those “Big Dogs”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.